Airline fu#!ed up my TF10
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

forbigger

100+ Head-Fier
I was on the way on long haul flight and on transit bought airline adapter. As soon as the plane took off I plug the TF10 with the adapter into the airline seat. I leave the TF10 for a while and do some reading. When I'm ready to watch some inflight entertainment, I hold the left IEM and it burned my hand. Apparently the plastic right in between black and blue part melted (in the inside part) and I can faintly smell burning smells

When it cold down I tried and have lost the bass responses. There's no bass at all on left channel. I guess the low driver was burned. I dont have any idea if I buy a screwed up airline adapter or its the headphone port thats causing this.

Now perhaps a member here have some leftover amazon deals that they willing to part with some profit ? I have grown to like it a lot and been using it constantly as my travel rig.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could have been a defect in the TF10 too, you never know.

How old are they? Maybe they're in warranty . . . wouldn't hurt at least trying.

cannot be a defect as its functioning perfectly prior to this incident. bought it on amazon deal and dont think UE will fixed mine as this might not be manufacturing defect

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 19
i did suggest you use a cheaper earphone when connecting to airline adapters. I remember once i use my crossroad lbi from the adapter, the sound quality somehow deproved.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cannot be a defect as its functioning perfectly prior to this incident. bought it on amazon deal and dont think UE will fixed mine as this might not be manufacturing defect

Honestly, it was a good idea. They will probably replace them no questions asked, like he said, it doesn't hurt to try.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cannot be a defect as its functioning perfectly prior to this incident.

Functioning prior really means crap when it comes to any consumer electronic.

Quote:

bought it on amazon deal and dont think UE will fixed mine as this might not be manufacturing defect

Just tell them you were using them on a flight with a proper adapter, they got hot, and bass stopped working. What's the worst they do, "Sorry, it's not covered"? What's the best scenario? You pay shipping rather than buying a second set.

Personally I wouldn't even go into that much detail and just say the bass driver stopped working period. You used the proper adapters, the IEMs no longer work. To me it's really that straightforward.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 19
just send them the 'phones(I mean the left and right headphones), no need to send them the accessories unless they want you to. Oh and most manufacturer's warranty are only 1 year, so just tell them you just bought it 2 months ago and the store/website only has 14-30 day return. I did that on a sony ps3 remote control and they sent me the replacement no questions ask(well except my shipping address).
edit: I always say "Is there something you could do to help?" >they always help a nice person respecting them.
Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 19
for future purposes, don't forget to bring your "UE airline sound attenuator" next time:
tool-kit.png

I think most airline adapters just split the end into two jacks. Anyways, sorry about your situation, and good luck with getting a warranty replacement! I'm traveling this summer, so thanks though for reminder that this can happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 19
maybe the ue airline sound attenuator might not help, it just resist sudden loud volume on the flight entertainment system. But does increasing the resistance prevent it from heating up?

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for future purposes, don't forget to bring your "UE airline sound attenuator" next time:
tool-kit.png

I think most airline adapters just split the end into two jacks. Anyways, sorry about your situation, and good luck with getting a warranty replacement! I'm traveling this summer, so thanks though for reminder that this can happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

He did bring his adapter. It was most likely dc from the airplane jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back