airhead/sr225/riovolt
Jun 18, 2005 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dw6928

Headphoneus Supremus
using a riovolt cd player out to an airhead to my grado sr225s is wonderful.
would anyother kind of amp make it even more wonderful or is the portable cd source too limiting to justify a more expensive amp?

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
using a riovolt cd player out to an airhead to my grado sr225s is wonderful.
would anyother kind of amp make it even more wonderful or is the portable cd source too limiting to justify a more expensive amp?

I have the sr225 and they do sound great through an airhead (or in my case, a bithead, which is the same as far as the amp is concerned). I use an iPod mini and upgraded the amp to Headroom's Cosmic with their upgraded power supply. The upgrade was expensive but the improvement was worth it!

So in answer to you question and without specifying a particular amp, Yes another amp might well be worth the expense with a portable player. It was for me.

Jun 19, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
tell me more about the difference between the airhead and the cosmic please in
terms of audio. thanks

OK, I'm not sure I can. But first let me add to my previous entry that I would encourage you NOT to listen to anything else. The 225 and the bithead sound very NICE and my particular upgrade cost $1000...

OK, I warned you. First I probably don't have the termonology to effectively describe the difference between the bithead and the cosmic (with power supply ugrade, silencer [quiets noise from AC power] and a fairly good power cord) but I can tell you that I was in awe of the sound. I also have Senn 595's but I'm equally in awe of the 225. The one example I would give comes from listening to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (works with rock too) and hearing a "clicking" sound I'd NEVER heard before. It was the freaking keys on the flute!

It's expensive and enjoyable but I still recommend avoiding the whole upgrade thing if you can. A bithead and some 225's sound great.

Whichever way you go, enjoy!

Jun 19, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 9
I heard that the new Desktop portable Amp is equal to the cosmic somewhere. I just recieved my microamp with Desktop module on friday and it is far superior to my Total Airhead in many ways. My TAH is one of the early two AA models. So the Desktop portable would be even better than what I have. Mine is priced at $299 while the Desktop portable is priced at $599. I went ahead and got the MicroDAC at the same time.

Tyll Headroom said at http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...c#post1380968:

Destop Line
The Desktop Headphone Amp (internally mounted DAC board optionally available)
The Desktop Portable Amp (Cosmic replacement, DAC optional)
The Desktop Millett Hybrid Amp (Yahoo! The first HeadRoom tube amp, no DAC option)
The Desktop Power Supply (high performance power supply option)
The Desktop Switch

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
I heard that the new Desktop portable Amp is equal to the cosmic somewhere. I just recieved my microamp with Desktop module on friday and it is far superior to my Total Airhead in many ways. My TAH is one of the early two AA models. So the Desktop portable would be even better than what I have. Mine is priced at $299 while the Desktop portable is priced at $599. I went ahead and got the MicroDAC at the same time.

Destop Line
The Desktop Millett Hybrid Amp (Yahoo! The first HeadRoom tube amp, no DAC option)
The Desktop Switch

I agree that the new desktop is a good replacement for the cosmic. The price range is the same. The Micro amp and DAC is slick for $600. Not a bad upgrade path if you need/like the digital part. If not then $300 for the micro amp is a hot deal. In that case the SR71 is the competition but I've never heard it either.

It all depends on how much money you have and how well you can deal with knowing there's something out there that sounds better if only you had the extra money.

I still vote for sticking with the airhead and the 225.

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Destop Line
The Desktop Switch

I just noticed that you had some problems with your micro amp and dac but things are better now. I'm glad since that's a chunk of change and feeling bad about it is not good.

So, how do you like them now?

I like the looks of the micros but despite my foundness for headroom amps I think the new stuff (aside form the micros and the desktop portable) is just hideously ugly. I'm really glad I got my cosmic before the change.

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I have edited part of the original thread to indicate that my issues were mostly due to my cluelessness. There were some newness issues with my Microamp and battery compartment but that has worked itself out.

I am loving these components more as I listen to them. The MicroAmp with the Desktop module is the way to go unless battery life is an absolute must , then maybe if that were the case you would be looking elsewhere anyway for a much more extended life with resulting less sound quality.

Could we make the conclusion that the MicroAmp with Desktop module and the MicroDAC together would match or exceed the Headroom Comsic standard in sound quality based on what Tyll has told us?

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I have edited part of the original thread to indicate that my issues were mostly due to my cluelessness. There were some newness issues with my Microamp and battery compartment but that has worked itself out.

I am loving these components more as I listen to them. The MicroAmp with the Desktop module is the way to go unless battery life is an absolute must , then maybe if that were the case you would be looking elsewhere anyway for a much more extended life with resulting less sound quality.

Could we make the conclusion that the MicroAmp with Desktop module and the MicroDAC together would match or exceed the Headroom Comsic standard in sound quality based on what Tyll has told us?

It's possible. If you need a DAC the Cosmic sure won't help. I paid more than twice as much for the Cosmic and I hope it sounds better but I've heard good things about micro...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back