Airhead and Supermini IV Questions
Aug 11, 2006 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
This is my first post in the forum. With a new baby, I've moved more and more to HD listening, using Stax SR-5s for the stereo rig, and DT770s for PC and portable (iriver).

I was making plans to design my own HD amp but after visiting the forum today, realized there's not much point anymore. Searching the posts, I've decided on either a new Total Airhead or a Supermini IV, both using the 8397.

I wasn't able to find any direct comparisons of sound quality, and would appreciate any feedback. I will probably use it in ac-power mode 75% of the time, so impressions under ac are important too. I prefer an open sound, vs in-your-face detail.

Feature wise, its a bit of a wash for me, but I did notice the airhead uses 4 AAA's, vs 2 AAA for the supermini. Can I expect twice the battery life from the Total Airhead?

Thanks!
DDF

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 3
hi...welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

and congratulations on the new baby, too.

not many have heard the supermini IV yet as only a few actually have them...but it seems to be a winner. initial reactions are that it has a huge soundstage (as huge as one might expect from headphones) and can power almost anything. battery life is an unknown, but should be pretty good.

the airhead is also a good amp with the ad8397...in general, though, the ad8397 tends to be a bit more forward and aggressive - at least that's my experience with it...i have it in my PINT and i like it, but i usually prefer something warmer and more "liquid"...the ad8397 isn't that. also, the ad8397 is a power-sucker so they will drain batteries fairly quickly.

i think people around here really like xin's amps and if you're willing to wait, you might want to get one of those. another plus is that you can roll op-amps in the supermini so you can get that sound you're looking for. there are some supermini IV, supermacro IV, and supermicro IV threads so check those for more answers...hope this gets you started.

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks on all counts kugino.

I inquired at Xin what their lead time was, to no reply. If the battery life is acceptable and I can get one within a month, I'll probably go for the supermicro. If I don't hear back, I'll probably go the airhead route. The opamp swap is seductive, but not if it takes months.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back