Airfoil (aka SlipStream) released for iTunes/Airport Express
Mar 4, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 12
Blessingx:

Seems nobody cares but us. This is exciting.

I can't wait until I can watch DVD on my Powerbook and play the sound through my audio system using airport express.

Airfoil is not there for DVD based on the latency but what an exciting development for $20. Have you played with it yet? I hope the new Jaguar OSX may address the latency issue.

By the way, this will allow XM Radio to stream over Airport Express. This $20 will eliminate the need for the home version of XM hardware and the need to plug and unplug. Bad news is an extra fee to XM. Good development even so. Too bad XM is so clueless. They should license Airfoil to allow XM to sell more computer-remote online streams.

So far so good.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 12
I haven't played with it yet, as I'm kinda a beta user owning Audio Hijack Pro and Nicecast (which combined does the same through a more complicated interface and not talking directly to the APX).

Will see, VLC is a great, robust program that I use as much as iDVD. You can [reportedly] adjust the audio/video sync, but I haven't tested yet.

We'll just continue this 'private conversation', but I agree it's kinda exciting. I'm hearing the Airport Express again after a longish break and I'm really impressed (see other thread).

One more program released today of interest - http://www.bainsware.com/accesstunes/

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 12
If I had a Mac, and had an AirPortExpress, I'd be all over this.
tongue.gif

I do plan on getting an AirPort Express though, and I really want a Mac (PB 15" or PM Dual G5)...

~KS

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 12
I installed airfoil the day it was available. I was waiting for it to come out of beta. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon. It has even made it to my Dock.

Mar 4, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 12
AWWWWWWWWWWWrrrrrright! Now I'm waiting for Griffin to release that AirDock thing and for WireWorld to release their new glass-fiber Airport Express cable (shhhh! it's a secret!!) and my life will be complete...
600smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 12
I use my Apple PB12 to watch DVD's. I do not have a DVD player. All I lack is the ability to have the sound come over my audio setup. Then I will have a laptop home theater. My wife will love this and I will, too!

Blessingx said

"Will see, VLC is a great, robust program that I use as much as iDVD. You can [reportedly] adjust the audio/video sync, but I haven't tested yet."

Videolan.org right?

How can this help me? All I want to do is watch video and have the sound sycnch up over my airtunes. If this will work, I am all over it. Is this a quick solution or does it require a weekend of brain damage for a plug and play guy like me?

Make me a hero if you can.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Yes, Videolan.org is the home of VLC. To get the sound to sync up, you'll need to go into the preferences, Audio, check the box to show the advanced options, and then adjust the "Audio desynchronization compensation" value (in milliseconds) until it sounds right.

This is for the windows version, of VLC, there may be minor diferences in the OSX version.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 12
OK. Good news. But how much of a project is it? I am working on it this weekend. Will I have time to watch basketball too? Do my taxes as well? How much brain damage?

Mar 7, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Airfoil rocks.

Maybe it is me, but I have not made VLC work yet. I need a plug and play solution and VLC is more of a project with a choice to make on every item of the menu. I would love to hitchhike on the progress that one of you more advanced power users have made and and would ask that post what to do exactly for us knuckleheads.

All I care about is overcoming the latency associated with WMV and DVD's on my PB12 to allow me to play videos on my computer with the sound wirelessly over AEx. If you have a solution we dummies would greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back