Air Motion Transformer or Folded Motion Transformer for headphones?
Jan 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Clayton72

New Head-Fier
I've got a set of Fostex T50RP that I could cannibalize to build some DIY cans, but I'm intrigued with the AMT / FMT I've heard.  The Martin Logan or Goldring speakers I've heard are pretty nice.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amt-mini-8-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-8-ohm--275-095

Those are cheap enough to play with.  The size is small.  For headphone volumes, perhaps they'd be full range enough to make decent cans?  The low impedance seems like it might be the bigger issue, yeah?

Thanks,
Clayton

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 3
I bet its an interesting experiment, you should try it. 

Driving an 8ohm load is not a problem. You can find hundreds of thousands of old speaker amps that can do it. 
Adding a series resistor between the amp and the tweeter will make adding a simple RC filter to flatten the FR at the low end (if necessary) and will make the tweeter easier to drive by headphone amps. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't think you'll have the surface area to reach lower frequencies (or the excursion to make up for it). If you look at the FR graph, that Dayton driver falls off pretty steep below 5khz. You would need to get pretty creative with crossovers or EQ to compensate for that. If someone made a AMT that was supposed to be a wide/full range driver it would be much easier to experiment with.

That being said, I love the sound of AMTs, I plan to build some monitors with them but the AMT drivers I want are something like $400 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back