Air conditioner recommendations?
May 27, 2006 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a small (12.5") and relatively quiet window air conditioner. Can anyone recommend anything?
It's getting hot and humid over here and I don't like it and my violin likes it even less.
Cheers!

May 27, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 12
If you decide to get one I would buy a cheap meter to measure % of moisture (humidity) in the room you keep the instruments. I say this because wood does very poorly in dry environments (shrinkage) and you wil start noticing the spider web cracks in the finish. This is made worse by large swings in the relative humidity say 30% in winter to 80% in summer.

Try to keep the humididy in the case where the instrument is kept as per the manufacturer recomendations. Chances are is 65% to 75% relative humidity.

Good luck.

May 27, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 12
I have the CW-XC64HU and it is so quiet, I can be an armchair industrialist with the remote and, if my three cats are misbehaving, I just turn the temp down and winter comes to my living room and they go running for warmth
icon10.gif

May 27, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
If you decide to get one I would buy a cheap meter to measure % of moisture (humidity) in the room you keep the instruments. I say this because wood does very poorly in dry environments (shrinkage) and you wil start noticing the spider web cracks in the finish. This is made worse by large swings in the relative humidity say 30% in winter to 80% in summer.

Try to keep the humididy in the case where the instrument is kept as per the manufacturer recomendations. Chances are is 65% to 75% relative humidity.

Good luck.

Without humidification it does get to 25% in the winter. I try to keep it at at least 40% in the winter. I think 65% to 70% is too high. It is at that now and air conditioning should improve things.

May 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I have the CW-XC64HU and it is so quiet, I can be an armchair industrialist with the remote and, if my three cats are misbehaving, I just turn the temp down and winter comes to my living room and they go running for warmth
icon10.gif

Thanks; that won't fit but hopefully the smaller model will be similarly quiet.

May 28, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Without humidification it does get to 25% in the winter. I try to keep it at at least 40% in the winter. I think 65% to 70% is too high. It is at that now and air conditioning should improve things.

I stand corrected, I checked on my Larrivee Guitar website and the recommended range is 42% to 55%. Sorry for the mis-quote.

May 28, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 12
if your looking for cheap check out walmart and the haier brand...cheap and will last a couple years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back