Air by crazybaby
Nov 13, 2016 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

aramk

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I see there's a new offering for wireless in-ear buds from crazybaby. It promises the world so I was wondering if there's a chance we'll see some reviews at some point. It seems they ship in Jan 2017 at the earliest. Hopefully they don't run into the same issues Braghi had on their campaign. I was wondering what others think about this. I'm sceptical of the noise isolation this would offer, whether you'd be able to use it with custom tips, and whether there's any merit to them comparing the sound quality to the Sennheiser IE 800. Still, it's worth a look and appears to win at all the key points when compared to other in-ear buds.

1. http://www.crazybaby.com/air
  2. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-acoustically-stunning-wireless-headphones-audio--2#/ 

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 39
Hi, I was asking myself the same question as it sounds quite tempting compared to other crowdfunded wireless earbuds.

On the graph provided by crazybaby, the sound performance doesn't look like it is not deviating a lot from the Sennheiser IE-800 benchmark. However, I don't have the expertise to tell whether those small differences can make a big difference in the listening experience. Can anyone of you professionals have a look at that graph and analyse it for us newbies? Thank you very much!

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 39
The thing is, were both frequency responses obtained in the same rig? Also you don't go into detail with square wave response as well, so I'd like to see some more graphics and more importantly, impressions from someone who knows what they are taking about 

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 39
I'm not committing anything until a few reviews come in next year. I'd happily pay an extra $50 knowing I'm not buying a lemon.

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 39
Sadly, that graph is all we get from their indiegogo-page. I'll take my chances and back them, even though it seems bold to compare yourself with a pair of Sennheiser IE-800.

The frequency range is also quite wide:

I'll post my layman impressions here as soon as I get them.

So far I am quite happy with my UE-900. While I don't expect them to provide me with the same joy and clarity, I do hope that the Airs will be a positive surprise.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 39
I also ordered(backed them) and will compare against Campfire Andromeda and Shure SE535.

I suspect unfortunately I can only really compare against my wired IEM's as the other Bluetooth headset's I have owned are ***** for audio quality.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 39
  Hi, I was asking myself the same question as it sounds quite tempting compared to other crowdfunded wireless earbuds.

On the graph provided by crazybaby, the sound performance doesn't look like it is not deviating a lot from the Sennheiser IE-800 benchmark. However, I don't have the expertise to tell whether those small differences can make a big difference in the listening experience. Can anyone of you professionals have a look at that graph and analyse it for us newbies? Thank you very much!

If we are to look at this as an FR alone, the first thing I see is that the decibels measurement skips by jumps of 10 and are close together, meaning that small deviations will likely be audible, and ones that aren't small will likely be obvious. Interestingly, they chose to aim for the IE800 response, which has a notable rise in the subbass that gives it a very tactile, rumbly bass. However, the IE800 is very well ventilated, even somewhat open, and controls this response well with the Heimholz resonator found in it and the HD800S. I suspect a wireless bud may come off as a bit congested much subbass. And while it doesn't look like much, it seems the crazybaby is 5dB stronger at 250 Hz, and has its most notable peak at the dreaded 6kHz (which I actually find acceptable, but many find to be problematic). Looking at the IE800 measurements and how this is a bit more pronounced in the treble and lower mids, this thing should be V-shaped with fuller, dark-ish mids. If the sound sig fits the user's preference, it'll probably be a great buy even if the technicalities aren't there (which we can't assume). Theres a lot of tech in this baby, should be interesting, but the signature isn't my cup of tea. Definitely will be waiting for reviews

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 39
I'll probably order a pair within the next few months. Once I see a few in-depth reviews. Also, it looks like they will have more colors besides black and white. I was thinking the grey ones looked nice.

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 39
First time today really walking around with them at work and I was getting annoying dropouts while outside. Moving my head side to side to look at traffic and possibly the wind wasn't agreeing with it. Inside no issues. Not good considering everything else has been great so far.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 39
Well that's not a good sign if you are having dropouts. I remember one of their selling points is that they are using the most up-to-date version of Bluetooth, so the connection should never drop out.

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 39
I'll have to try with the air leash and see if that makes a difference but again this morning while walking outside I was getting dropouts. I put in a ticket so we'll see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back