AIMP 2: The Little Audio Player That Surprised Me
Feb 13, 2009 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Taikero

500+ Head-Fier
I just gave AIMP 2 a go at work today. I've been pleasantly surprised by it. The main setup options are perhaps a bit too simple (not customizable enough, although there are skins) and there's no ReplayGain support (Closest thing is an auto-attenuator in the DSP manager, which is okay but can cause odd audio distortion occasionally as it adjusts), but other than that it's quite the enjoyable player.

The sound quality is also excellent, IMO. From what I can tell, it's using some driver called vaclcskd.sys (I know this because if you run the Breakaway DSP (Winamp plugin usually) and AIMP 2 at the same, you'll get a blue screen of death with this driver as the culprit. Fun times.) instead of DirectSound. I think this vaclcskd.sys driver is some kind of proprietary kernel driver.

Either way, I'm not sure if the driver is doing some kind of transform on the audio, but I think it sounds different from foobar2000 in a good way (I wish I had ReplayGain available so I could level match, etc.). It almost seems like the AIMP 2 output driver has a better hold on the processing. The audio just "feels" tighter, more accurate. It's like an instantly recognizable PRaT improvement more than anything else to me. Could be all placebo, but I don't think so.

The audio library/playlist setup is decent enough. Playlists sit on the top of the playlist window as tabs. The audio library is a separate window from the main app and works well enough. AIMP 2 reads tags blazingly fast.

AIMP 2 supports Winamp DSP plugins and some general Winamp plugins, so all is not lost if you switch from Winamp. Output plugins aren't supported AFAIK.

Additionally, the built-in equalizer is full of features (you probably don't need
tongue.gif
), and should satisfy most basic tinkering desires (iZotope Ozone or a similar DSP should take care of the rest). The tempo adjuster can be fun for those who are bored.
biggrin.gif

I haven't touched this yet, but as well as I can see, AIMP 2 also supports online radio station recording and audio conversion to FLAC/MP3/OGG/MusePack/FAAC/WMA/WAV with what looks like CD ripping capabilities (EAC is still going to be better, but hey).

I'll be playing around more with AIMP 2 over the weekend at home. I'm hoping a few others will as well. It's a great little player so far, and I'm hoping I can flesh out a few more nice tweaks and tricks to really make it a contender for music playback on a regular basis.

May 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I've just discovered it recently as well! I really like the actual "player" part of it, and the tabbed playlist setup, but hate the audio library setup I'm afraid.. I tend to use another library (iTunes or Winamp) to browse my music, but then drag it into AIMP to actually play it
smily_headphones1.gif

So.. what are your thoughts on the actual sound quality of the player? Do you reckon it's going to join in the "does this player sounds better than iTunes or is that just placebo.." debate that we have with Foobar etc?

Oh meant to say.. some of the visualisations are really good, I know Winamp had some good ones, but these are great! And of course you can use the Winamp plugins with this player...
smily_headphones1.gif

All in all quite impressed, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the quality issue, for example whether or not the BASS library makes any difference!

EDIT - Apart from the fact it doesn't do gapless - that sucks =/

May 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 7
i searched asio for aimp2, cant find it

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 7
AIMP2 does gapless - it's just not enabled by default (for some unknown reasons). I forgot where it is, but it's there. I liked this player quite a bit... but it would skip on my tracks, more so on FLACs, so that was a big issue.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 7

Dom252 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've just discovered it recently as well! I really like the actual "player" part of it, and the tabbed playlist setup, but hate the audio library setup I'm afraid.. I tend to use another library (iTunes or Winamp) to browse my music, but then drag it into AIMP to actually play it
smily_headphones1.gif

So.. what are your thoughts on the actual sound quality of the player? Do you reckon it's going to join in the "does this player sounds better than iTunes or is that just placebo.." debate that we have with Foobar etc?

Oh meant to say.. some of the visualisations are really good, I know Winamp had some good ones, but these are great! And of course you can use the Winamp plugins with this player...
smily_headphones1.gif

All in all quite impressed, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the quality issue, for example whether or not the BASS library makes any difference!

EDIT - Apart from the fact it doesn't do gapless - that sucks =/

I understand this part, It's comprehensive, It's helpful to me, Thanks for your sharing!

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I was using it for a while but eventually went back to Foobar for serious music listening.  To me Foobar sounds better, especially with WASAPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back