AIAIAI TMA 2 - “the world’s first MODULAR headphone system.”
Jun 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

White Lotus

Reviewer for Stereo.net.au

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a thread made about this.

As a live sound engineer, I'm excited to try these out.

You can completely customise the gear that goes into your cans. 

YOU choose which parts go into your headphone. 

Cable, headband, drivers, pads..

The system allows for FOUR different driver configurations - notably (unfortunately?) none of which are open-backed. 

This, combined with the pad options available, leaves you with TWENTY different sound siganture possibiltiies.

Some images of different combinations from the manufacturer: 

If anyone has tried these out, please chime in! 

There is an online "configurator" located here.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 13
There're some new earpad and cushion which have not been released in previous products. I got the E03 (velour earpad) and E04 (Leather over-the-ear) together with the S01(looks like it's 1X driver) and S04 (looks like it's Young Guru driver). There're four different sound signatures. The mix and match is full of fun.
atsmile.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes, there's some discussion on the TMA-2 going in in the original TMA-1 thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1

To me its a perfect step forward... just yesterday I ordered additional parts to play around, including some S04 and the velour on-ear pads (E03). I do love my S03+E04, comfortable and fun sounding. Plus it has what I missed with the original TMA-1 or its best incarnation, the Ghostly Edition: articulate treble.

Being able to change the configuration myself has the added benefit of easy repairs should the need arise...

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 13
I use this headphone (S01 with the leather pads) for DJ'ing. For that purpose they are perfect: tight bass that is good for beatmatching, very comfy to switch from 1 ear to 2 ears and back, great isolation, replaceable cable and parts and they look and feel AMAZING. However, from a fidelity standpoint they can't compare with my Grado S125E at all. I have to say that I find the sound disappointing. The bass is amazing, so for techno, what I mostly listen to, it is a nice, durable, modular, stylish headphone. Great for commute, second to none for DJ'ing (I prefer them over my sennheiser HD25-II for DJ'ing). If you plan on doing any critical listening to non-electronic music, especially acoustic music, then I would strongly advise against buying.

Oh and let me just add that these headphones change the most during the burn in period of all headphones that I have ever owned. They get a lot better over say 72 hours of usage. I would advise to let them play overnight a few times.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 13
I use this headphone (S01 with the leather pads) for DJ'ing. For that purpose they are perfect: tight bass that is good for beatmatching, very comfy to switch from 1 ear to 2 ears and back, great isolation, replaceable cable and parts and they look and feel AMAZING. However, from a fidelity standpoint they can't compare with my Grado S125E at all. I have to say that I find the sound disappointing. The bass is amazing, so for techno, what I mostly listen to, it is a nice, durable, modular, stylish headphone. Great for commute, second to none for DJ'ing (I prefer them over my sennheiser HD25-II for DJ'ing). If you plan on doing any critical listening to non-electronic music, especially acoustic music, then I would strongly advise against buying.

Oh and let me just add that these headphones change the most during the burn in period of all headphones that I have ever owned. They get a lot better over say 72 hours of usage. I would advise to let them play overnight a few times.

The problem here seems to be your config, from what i remember looking into these headphones last time i thought about them, the 01 was relatively bassy. From what i read, both pads and speaker hugely influence the sound of the tma2.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Actually have the on ear small model from aiaiai, in league with porta pro or better to my ears. Been curious on the around ear model, looks kind of minimalistic and stealthy:thumbsup:.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 13
AIAIAI audio has been making variations of their TMA-2 series of headphones, so today I bring you my full written review about the AIAIAI TMA-2 Studio headphones, a pair of comfortable, flexible and modular headphones that come packaged as if they were sold by IKEA

With a strong bottom end, but a balanced midrange, and a clean treble, they sound really cool, with a ton of detail and good dynamics. I tell more about them, including comparisons with other hot topic headphones in today's review of the TMA-2 Studio, the headphone to beat the mighty HD-25 and at their own game

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/11/aiaiai-tma-2-studio-more-modular-enlightenment.html

AIAIAI-AI-TMA-2-Studio-TMA2-Headphones-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-Comfy-Affordable-Cans-15.jpg

Apr 5, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 13
If you're ready to start their week with the first monitoring headphone in the whole world to have a true no-latency wireless connection, you surely want to learn more about the TMA-2 Studio Wireless+ from AIAIAI audio !

I made a full written review about it, with comparisons to other popular headphones in the price range, and more info about how the wireless+ sounds like, how it works, and how the new modular headphones are like in real life!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2022/04/aiaiai-tma-2-studio-wireless-the-portable-ones.html

AIAIAI-AI-TMA-2-HD-Wireless-Studio-Headphones-Comfortable-Receiver-Bluetooth-LDAC-Modular-Hifi...jpg

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 13
Okay so I've had my TMA-2 (S10, H04, E08, C15) since November 2021 and I just tried the LCD-X for the first time in a hifi store. They sounded the same to me! The only difference was the LCD-X sounded wider. It even had the advantage of being used with an AMP/DAC while the TMA-2 was on Bluetooth.

I also tried the Focal Elegia and Celestee and ended up preferring the Elegia soooo... Yeah...

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Okay so I've had my TMA-2 (S10, H04, E08, C15) since November 2021 and I just tried the LCD-X for the first time in a hifi store. They sounded the same to me! The only difference was the LCD-X sounded wider. It even had the advantage of being used with an AMP/DAC while the TMA-2 was on Bluetooth.
That's quite a bold statement that can't be taken seriously.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 13
That's quite a bold statement that can't be taken seriously.
I probably needed more time with them or there was some fudgery cause I was swapping between wired and Bluetooth but at that moment, they did sound the same with the LCD having a wider soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back