Aiaiai modular question
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PL4Y3R 0N3

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been looking to get a pair of headphones, and I figured I'd look into modular headphones. The concept sounds amazing, and I feel like it would be an awesome way to try different sound signatures without having a pile of headphones, but something seemed amiss when I put the headphones together.
I looked at the aiaiai tma-2 modular headphones, and when I put them together and looked at the description, I liked what I saw.

But then I looked at the graph, and it didn't seem to match the description.

To me that looks like a bit warmer than neutral. Now, I don't have much experience with graphs, but does that graph match the description?
Here is my selection for reference:
H03-S02-E06-C06
https://aiaiai.dk/configurator

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
So I've been looking to get a pair of headphones, and I figured I'd look into modular headphones. The concept sounds amazing, and I feel like it would be an awesome way to try different sound signatures without having a pile of headphones, but something seemed amiss when I put the headphones together.
I looked at the aiaiai tma-2 modular headphones, and when I put them together and looked at the description, I liked what I saw.

But then I looked at the graph, and it didn't seem to match the description.

To me that looks like a bit warmer than neutral. Now, I don't have much experience with graphs, but does that graph match the description?
Here is my selection for reference:
H03-S02-E06-C06
https://aiaiai.dk/configurator

First figure is subjective listening, second is actual, objective measurement. There are huge problems with the first - for example even if the headphone actually has decent bass like how the HE400 is ruler flat from 1000hz down to 10hz or has a lot of bass like the upper bass hump on the HD600, other things get in the way of perception, like

1. Over all balance. Those two headphones have some peaks in the treble. They're not too high, but those affect the perception of overall balance, as opposed to the LCD-2 which is similar to the HE400 below 1000hz but is smoother though weaker through above that, and the HD650 which is similar to the HD600 but is stronger in bass and weaker in the treble.

2. Perception on what makes strong bass. Some people compare headphones to the sensation of a kick to the chest that they get from, at minimum, sitting close to 5in nearfield monitors; it gets worse if their speakers are multiple- or large-bass driver towers, or a 2.1 system, and expect it to be that loud. Others just can't hear the rolled off low bass on most headphones, some feel like the ruler flat planar response lacks the upper bass slam of dynamic drivers that have a boosted response in that region. Give the average person a system corrected to sound as flat as possible and they'll probably say it's boring (not that headphones described to be "analytical" actually have a flat response without EQ).

3. Noise floor. Others are listening with open headphones or practically any headphone lacking isolation in an area with relatively high noise floor, and thus have even more difficulty hearing lower frequencies. Not hearing distinct noise sources is not proof that it's quiet - the noise floor might be as high as 30dB. You don't hear distinct noises but that's about as loud as good quality, high static pressure, high airflow computer fan at full tilt (ex. Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC).

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 8
First figure is subjective listening, second is actual, objective measurement. There are huge problems with the first - for example even if the headphone actually has decent bass like how the HE400 is ruler flat from 1000hz down to 10hz or has a lot of bass like the upper bass hump on the HD600, other things get in the way of perception, like

1. Over all balance. Those two headphones have some peaks in the treble. They're not too high, but those affect the perception of overall balance, as opposed to the LCD-2 which is similar to the HE400 below 1000hz but is smoother though weaker through above that, and the HD650 which is similar to the HD600 but is stronger in bass and weaker in the treble.

2. Perception on what makes strong bass. Some people compare headphones to the sensation of a kick to the chest that they get from, at minimum, sitting close to 5in nearfield monitors; it gets worse if their speakers are multiple- or large-bass driver towers, or a 2.1 system, and expect it to be that loud. Others just can't hear the rolled off low bass on most headphones, some feel like the ruler flat planar response lacks the upper bass slam of dynamic drivers that have a boosted response in that region. Give the average person a system corrected to sound as flat as possible and they'll probably say it's boring (not that headphones described to be "analytical" actually have a flat response without EQ).

3. Noise floor. Others are listening with open headphones or practically any headphone lacking isolation in an area with relatively high noise floor, and thus have even more difficulty hearing lower frequencies. Not hearing distinct noise sources is not proof that it's quiet - the noise floor might be as high as 30dB. You don't hear distinct noises but that's about as loud as good quality, high static pressure, high airflow computer fan at full tilt (ex. Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC).

So are these more v-shaped? I was looking to get something more neutral and balanced to try, and modular headphones seemed like a great way to try different sound signatures, but if they are all a little bass heavy then I don't think I'd truly be able to tell what sound signature I like from these headphones.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

So are these more v-shaped? 

Not so much. Look at the graph again - the treble peaks only look like peaks because there's a dip in the midrange, but overall the treble peaks aren't higher than where it is at 1000hz. What gets called "V-shaped" tends to have a treble peak (or more than one) that is a lot taller than 1000hz, so some of the dip in the midrange is offset by the midrange bias of the human hearing and isn't made worse because the treble peaks are not that tall. Offhand one way to describe this particular driver is that it's a bit like the HD650 below 1000hz and a bit like the HE400 above 1000hz.

Quote:

I was looking to get something more neutral and balanced to try, and modular headphones seemed like a great way to try different sound signatures, but if they are all a little bass heavy then I don't think I'd truly be able to tell what sound signature I like from these headphones.

If you go through the configurator the response does change when your swap out drivers and pads. Since those affect comfort and ergonomics I suggest getting the earpad type that you want but in several versions (ex the circumaural pads come in fabric and two kinds of leather), then maybe two pairs of the drivers, then see what combo works. Basically the driver is still the primary determinant here.

If you can't afford that many parts in one go I suggest you try the combo that has the midrange slightly louder than the lows and highs.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Not so much. Look at the graph again - the treble peaks only look like peaks because there's a dip in the midrange, but overall the treble peaks aren't higher than where it is at 1000hz. What gets called "V-shaped" tends to have a treble peak (or more than one) that is a lot taller than 1000hz, so some of the dip in the midrange is offset by the midrange bias of the human hearing and isn't made worse because the treble peaks are not that tall. Offhand one way to describe this particular driver is that it's a bit like the HD650 below 1000hz and a bit like the HE400 above 1000hz.

If you go through the configurator the response does change when your swap out drivers and pads. Since those affect comfort and ergonomics I suggest getting the earpad type that you want but in several versions (ex the circumaural pads come in fabric and two kinds of leather), then maybe two pairs of the drivers, then see what combo works. Basically the driver is still the primary determinant here.

If you can't afford that many parts in one go I suggest you try the combo that has the midrange slightly louder than the lows and highs.

Well I chose those pads because they are supposed to have a good soundstage and they are over ear. Changing the drivers can only increase the bass or the treble, not one that is mid-centric. I noticed the dip
In the mids too, and I knew that didn't look normal.
Overall though, what would this combo be described as? Would they be warm?

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Well I chose those pads because they are supposed to have a good soundstage and they are over ear.

Just get as many of your preferred pads, I only put those up as an example of the variants on each. In any case while the earpad type and materials does affect quality, it's better if you just focus on which type you'd think you can work with.

Quote:

Changing the drivers can only increase the bass or the treble, not one that is mid-centric.

You have to think about it in relative terms. You don't need to boost or cut in the midrange, cutting or boosting at both ends of it effectively brings out the midrange. 

Quote:

I noticed the dip In the mids too, and I knew that didn't look normal.

More normal than you think - most headphones apart from Grados and a few others do take a dip above 1000hz before they hit a peak or several of them between 4000hz and 10000hz. The difference is how low/high the dips/peaks get, and how many are there. And the shape of this graph isn't all that unique - look up the HE400, HE4, T70, etc. I'm not saying that's totally a good thing, only that it's more common than you think.

Quote:

Overall though, what would this combo be described as? Would they be warm?

Like I said previously, imagine the HD650 below 1000hz, and the HE400 above 1000hz. Just totally guessing but overall that likely makes for warmer guitars, most of the percussion, and bass guitar, cellos, double bass, etc, vocals tonally might not seem all that warm but imaging might have less of the "up front, popping out against the instruments in the background" imaging depth (which is something you can more easily get in something like a Grado with boosted midrange, or something with naturally deep soundstaging that pushes everything back but not so much with the vocals), while cymbals and other high frequencies likely will not be ear-piercing.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Like I said previously, imagine the HD650 below 1000hz, and the HE400 above 1000hz. Just totally guessing but overall that likely makes for warmer guitars, most of the percussion, and bass guitar, cellos, double bass, etc, vocals tonally might not seem all that warm but imaging might have less of the "up front, popping out against the instruments in the background" imaging depth (which is something you can more easily get in something like a Grado with boosted midrange, or something with naturally deep soundstaging that pushes everything back but not so much with the vocals), while cymbals and other high frequencies likely will not be ear-piercing.

Thanks for that description. I have to say, that seems like exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for explaining those graphs for me. I don't really have enough experience with headphones or graphs like that to tell what they mean. I think I may purchase those headphones.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for that description. I have to say, that seems like exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for explaining those graphs for me. I don't really have enough experience with headphones or graphs like that to tell what they mean. I think I may purchase those headphones.

Just note of course that that's just an educated guess based on the graph - how you put them on your head can affect it still (ie if how tight, if you put the driver slightly ahead of your ear canal, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back