AHHHH!! WHICH ONE?!?!?!
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 19
  Hopefully one day you'll be able to hear the im-02.  In my opinion, they are actually a better version of the eq-5's, having great transparency, better extension in the high and low end, and somewhat warm, though not as warm as the eq-5.

Though to be honest, the eq-5 doesn't lose to it that bad, except the lack of removable cables..

Huh, really?  The IM series is the new line of IEMs for Audio Technica right? They look quite intriguing and I think a good step forward for Audio Technica.  There was an excellent and comprehensive review of the IM series I read here on Head-Fi and was highly praised so now that you mention it has really got my attention. :)

So I have made up my mind, sort of.  Unless customs outshine universals in every respect, I will try to stick to universals because I'm not sure if I am ready to take that leap of faith. :p

IEM's I am considering:

Universals:

In Ear Stagediver SD-2
FitEar F111/A111
Noble 4 (considered to be superior to the Heir Audio 4.ai)

The only custom I have been seriously considering is the Noble 3C but if you have knowledge of any other excellent CIEMs, I am open to other suggestions.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 19
I don't know about the Audio-Technica IEMs. Just like most of the Sony's out there, I couldn't handle the strident highs and the signature was far from neutral. 
Then again, I haven't tried the IM-03. So of course I won't make any comments about them :)
I appreciate the EQ-5. Because it was much more balanced than the Grados using the same technology. And the presentation for vocal trance was absolutely phenomenal.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 19
I have actually considered the Stagediver 2's and the F111 but I am kind of skeptical about the fit of the Stagedivers, but otherwise I have heard great things about them.  I have actually had the UE900 and I enjoyed it but it wasn't the sound sig I wanted, furthermore I thought the build quality was sub-par compared to its competitors like the SE535 or W4R.  Also I always been intrigued by what Stagediver has accomplished with just 2 drivers, does this affect the frequency range at all of the Stagediver's by any chance?

The sd2 goes low in the bass, quality not quantity. And the treble extends pretty high, its sparkling but wont make your ears bleed. :) the mids are engaging and lush. Not too forward like ue900 but not recessed. Just proper and balanced. I feel that all the frequencies are perfectly tuned. As far as the fit goes, this is the tricky part. I have medium to small ears and the sd2 are designed for large ears, IMO. For reference, I don't think it matters, I'm 5'6". Since my ears are on the smaller side, they begin to hurt after about an hour of wearing the sd2. I love the sound of the sd2 but if the fit was not good there is no point in keeping the IEMs. I contacted the seller yesterday and told him I needed to return the item. He informed me that InEars is about to release the sd-2S the "S" at the end is for small. Small ears. He also told me that it is exactly the same as the original sd2 but in a smaller shell. Same sound and overall design, only a little smaller. I will probably get the smaller one once it is out.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 19
The sd2 goes low in the bass, quality not quantity. And the treble extends pretty high, its sparkling but wont make your ears bleed.
smily_headphones1.gif
the mids are engaging and lush. Not too forward like ue900 but not recessed. Just proper and balanced. I feel that all the frequencies are perfectly tuned. As far as the fit goes, this is the tricky part. I have medium to small ears and the sd2 are designed for large ears, IMO. For reference, I don't think it matters, I'm 5'6". Since my ears are on the smaller side, they begin to hurt after about an hour of wearing the sd2. I love the sound of the sd2 but if the fit was not good there is no point in keeping the IEMs. I contacted the seller yesterday and told him I needed to return the item. He informed me that InEars is about to release the sd-2S the "S" at the end is for small. Small ears. He also told me that it is exactly the same as the original sd2 but in a smaller shell. Same sound and overall design, only a little smaller. I will probably get the smaller one once it is out.

Sounds almost perfect for me. :)  One of my favorite IEM's was the venerable Etymotic ER-4 (not P, the original), for its clarity and detail.  Now if the SD-2's are as detailed and clear in its presentation, I am pretty sold.  I am also a little worried about the fit but I am willing to take the chance if the sound is as wonderful as many people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back