ahhhh! i just need a quick yes or no answer!!! please help...
Dec 3, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 6
A lot of dremels come with a fixed size collet that will only accept certain sized bits. If you have one of these you can only use a drill bit in that size.

I replaced the fixed collet on my dremel with an adjustable chuck so I can use any size bit. I got mine online, but I think you can get them at hardware stores too.

Dremels make pretty crappy drills. They will go through drywall, plastic and soft wood alright, but don't expect to drill thick metal. Dremels spin fast and have low torque. Real drills spin slow and have a lot more torque. Corded drills can be had for as low as $10 at places like Harbor Freight and will do a better job (don't take that as me recommending a $10 drill though).

Dec 3, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Dont worry, i was only planning on using the dremel for the pcb and case work (its a plastic case). i actually chose the dremel over the drill because someone told me the dremel would be better for pcb's because of the higher rpm. is that right?

Dec 3, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 6
All of the "business end" parts of your kit have rated RPM values. Be sure to look over the instructions that came with the tool. Wear your safety glasses too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back