ahhh what to upgrade, portable or home?
Mar 5, 2004 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

daveman_84

100+ Head-Fier
I'm driving myself crazy here! I want to upgrade two things. e2c to e3c. And HD497 to HD515. I would really only like to do one...but I guess I could go hog wild
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you could upgrade only one of those which would it be?

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by xand
How do you know HD497 to HD515 is an upgrade?

Well some folks have been saying they're the best $100 cans and even rival some $200 cans. I would *think* that'd be an upgrade. I've been trying to get some comparisons between the two but nobody seems to know. I'm leaning towards the e3's and keeping the 497's

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by mtaclof
sell it all and get some etytomics er-4's or shure e5's.
Portable and home.

Seconded. Ety's are amazing in both situations.

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Well I haven't heard ety's but I don't really think I'm much of any ety person. I listen to mostly pop/rock, like a full sound with good bass. I don't think they suit my needs...I think I'd be much happier with e3's.

I think I'm happier with my 497's than with the e2's...so I think I'm going to go with the e3's, actually.

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
What makes you think Ety 4s are not good for pop/rock?

Well, the bass on the Ety ER-4S is a little recessed. It's the bass that you can hear, not the one that you can feel. But a lot of pop/rock (though admittedly not all of it) is actually more enjoyable if you can feel that bass.

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Which system are you planning to use the most over the next few months? I upgraded the hell out of my portable rig over the past few months b/c of the amount of travelling I do for work and have now turned my attention to upgrading my home source and amp (already got the HD-650s). I have been playing with a bit of gear that I borrowed from a friend over the past few months, but now he is back in town and wants his toys back.
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 13
Ah me...
e2c >> e3c
kinda a small step eh?
e5c is a fricken 500 bucks... so I would have to suggest an Ety phone as well.

Mar 6, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 13
me personally, portable cans just have to be decent, not necessarily something very very good. but good will do...

the reason is, for portable use , eg. walking, driving, etc...
sometimes your phone rings, you have to take off your earphones, sometimes people talk to you...
you will get too much distraction from outside environment anyway... thus you wont have so much chance to really enjoy the quality of the phones... but at least you can enjoy the music...
plus, getting a totally isolating buds for portable is dangerous... and also you might not hear your own phone rings of when people try to talk to you..

so my vote goes for upgrading home system, where you can really enjoy your headphones...

wink.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Good advice, people. I went ahead and bought the HD-555. I realize I'll be spending more time at home listening than I will portably. It would be silly for me to get the e3's, no matter how much I want them, if I'm not going to be using them as much as home cans. Besides, I'm still pleased with the e2c's which are, despite what anyone says, damn good earphones. Are they top-of-the-line, no, but they're still better than just about anything else its size.

I'll report back once I get a chance to hear those 555's!!!

Excited!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back