AHH! worst day ever!
Nov 4, 2003 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Halide

100+ Head-Fier
Today sucks

I woke up and check my bank account balance and I got an overdraft fee...-$31.14

Now I take my iPod out of my packet and find all these scratches all over the friggin VIEW WINDOW...sigh

eek.gif
frown.gif

frown.gif
poor me...what can i do to make the scratches less visible

Nov 4, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 33
Try use a high quality non abrasive automotive polishing compound and a soft cloth. By polishing compound I mean the stuff you use on your car to take off light scratches and oxidation. Hopefully the scratches on your ipod aren't too deep.

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 33
You know what sucks? I don't have any money to buy the polish.

biggrin.gif

I found Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish after a little googling.

what about brasso? worse?

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 33
Personally I haven't tried any of the stuff you mentioned above so I can't comment on them. I've used a high quality polishing compound such as the one from Maguiar's or Mother's car wax products and have had good results. The other key is to find and use a very soft cloth for polishing. Don't use a old tee shirt or towel to polish your ipod as aren't really soft and will only put more scratches onto the ipod. I think the ipod's clear front panel is made of lucite.

Nov 4, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 33
Microfiber cloth will do just fine. Just make sure when you start polishing that you don't use excessive force as this might cause even the microfiber cloth to scratch the lucite surface. Use enough downforce to get the job done, similar to how you would use the microfiber cloth to clean your reading glasses. Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may have to go over the scratched areas several times before you can get a decent result. It might take time to get rid of the scratches by using a gentle polishing motion but better safe than sorry.

Nov 4, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 33
I've had great results with Displex. Used it on my first Archos' screen and the screen to my son's gameboy.

Nov 5, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 33
damn...is it really that hard to keep it scratchless?

Nov 5, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 33
Believe it or not but plain old toothpaste will remove scratches from most plastics. I've used it to clean up scratched and skipping CDs as well as the clear acrylic face on my watch.

Nov 5, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
damn...is it really that hard to keep it scratchless?

You can't even begin to imagine. If you don't have one of the many protective sleeves that's available for the ipod, chances are it will get scratched just by letting it come into contact with something that is sharp or has a rough surface. The highly polished lucite front panel and metal casing can be easily scratched without much effort. Rubbing your ipod gently with your shirt to clean off any finger prints is enough to put hairline scratches on the polished surfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back