AHH the good ol' A900 shock in the ear!
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

canadiandude

Head-Fier
So as a happy A900LTD owner, I just wanted to see who else would care to share their experiences of the not so painfull "getting zapped 5 times in the ear for the first time just before my probability and statistics midterm :S "...
or equivelent..

on a more serious side of the issue, does anybody know if the charge accumulates on the "plastic" of the driver itself or on the metal part? and is this detremental to the driver, because I heart my A900's and would hate to have more dielectric breakdown driver frying goodness!

see there is this blue spot on the left driver, and I THINK there is another one i can make out on the right driver? are these supposed to be there or is this from the static charges :S

Is this caused by faulty grounds, ie it only happens at uni in the old buildings with probably bad grounds

finally where can i get replacent pads, cuz some spares for future years would be nice, is anybody interested in a group buy, and HOW DO YOU GET THOSE DARN THINGS OFF, I dont like using force, but is there honeslty a proper way of taking them off?

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 24
Is it possible it is just static electricity? Doc Martens + carpet + winter used to hit me with something similar to what you described all the time. The first thing I used to grab when I set down at my desk were my headphones and I kept getting shocked in the ear. It hurts!

Once I figured out what it was, I became like Peter from Office Space, cringing to touch the doorknob for a while.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 24
Never experienced any static discharge with my 900's but I'm in the same boat, thinking I should pick up some replacement pads. Audiocubes had them for a while, but I think they dont' stock them or they're out of stock. Bluetin.com I believe has them, so you can check there. They'll be listed as A1000 pads as that's what the A900LTD's use. I think they were around $15 minus shipping; I forget if it was each or for a pair.

As far as removing the pads off, I haven't removed my LTD pads all the way out, but they are similar to my AD900's; you basically use a bit of twisting motion while gently tugging them off. Getting them off is fairly easy, it's putting them back on that will take a bit of fidgeting before you get the trick/method.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirkustanz
Is it possible it is just static electricity? Doc Martens + carpet + winter used to hit me with something similar to what you described all the time. The first thing I used to grab when I set down at my desk were my headphones and I kept getting shocked in the ear. It hurts!

Once I figured out what it was, I became like Peter from Office Space, cringing to touch the doorknob for a while.

Its not even winter "per-se" in calgary (alberta canada) right now.

I dont find it hurts, I just dont want my headphones damaged, however the cringing too touch doornobs AND OR the car door w/ wool pants on and forced office air, HAHA I feel youre pain.

^^ that was my summer job Id hate to see it in the winter time :S
right now im in uni tho and even without the headphones on, ill touch any port ie ground on my laptop and get a nice shock every once in a while, even after grounding myself to a table chair etc. HOORAY for faulty grounds

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiandude
Its not even winter "per-se" in calgary (alberta canada) right now.

I dont find it hurts, I just dont want my headphones damaged, however the cringing too touch doornobs AND OR the car door w/ wool pants on and forced office air, HAHA I feel youre pain.

^^ that was my summer job Id hate to see it in the winter time :S
right now im in uni tho and even without the headphones on, ill touch any port ie ground on my laptop and get a nice shock every once in a while, even after grounding myself to a table chair etc. HOORAY for faulty grounds

I get shocked touching almost everything at work all the time. Funny, because today we started getting really bad dry winds here in L.A., and the static was worse than ever.

That being said though, I have never gotten a static discharge from my previous cans or IEMs I use now. Imagine getting shocked in the eardrum --- OUCH!!

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 24
Hmm, I've had the W5000's with similar metal-covered driver elements, but have never experienced this "shocking" behavior
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 24
I've heard spraying your carpet and clothes with 3M static-guard helps. Ive never tried it myself though. My MDRV6 used to shock me all the time.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80
As far as removing the pads off, I haven't removed my LTD pads all the way out, but they are similar to my AD900's; you basically use a bit of twisting motion while gently tugging them off. Getting them off is fairly easy, it's putting them back on that will take a bit of fidgeting before you get the trick/method.

just got mine off and back on again, upon close examination with the pads off it looks like the blue dye I desribed earlier is just part of the driver and or wire. I also found a sticker that says 544 is this the production number of my headphones?

The HP-A1000's cost $30 for a set I would assume as they are 15 for either a left or a right. I think im gonna make a thread and see how many people are interested.. just a possibilty

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
That being said though, I have never gotten a static discharge from my previous cans or IEMs I use now. Imagine getting shocked in the eardrum --- OUCH!!

DANG! haha that would suck.
for me its usually the left ear, at the top back of the "flappy part" of skin for lack of a better word. but seroiously i would be sitting in my chair, then touch my metal USB or chair or table and get a nice shock, 5 minutes later my headphones return with a little bite if I forgot to ground myself.
This has never actually happend at home which i find kind of odd

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hmm, I've had the W5000's with similar metal-covered driver elements, but have never experienced this "shocking" behavior
biggrin.gif

Me neither.

I have hardwood floors though, so I don't pick up a static charge as easily here.

Oct 27, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 24
Hey, extra pads sounds nice...
wink.gif

how much is the cost?

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Prices do vary from one online retailer to another.

has anybody seen these elsewhere, maybe in canada or states, or simply cheaper?

Im thinking of getting an amp/dac to go with the A900LTD, are combos recomended eg the zhalou, or seperate? If i do get the zhalou, is the more expensive DAC "better" or just slightly different in sonic signature? and what is the discrete headphone thing, and are they still availabe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back