Ahh I feel so hopeless.
Dec 22, 2009 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

beachbum1212

New Head-Fier
At this point I've been turned on then off of quite a few different pairs of headphones due to needing an amp (which puts me over my price range), them being too loose, not the right sound range, etc.

I need something that will stay on my head while moving around a decent amount (not vigorously, but enough to walk around with), something that either doesn't need an amp, or is inexpensive enough that I could get an amp with it. (around $200 for both)

I'm looking for something comfortable because I'll be wearing them for quite long periods of time. The sound needs to be flexible because I'll be using them for mostly modern rock, some hip-hop/rap, as well as some gaming. I would like a decent amount of bass, but not overwhelming.

Once again, this is one of the most helpful forum communities I've ever seen, and sorry I'm so clueless.
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks-James

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Go HD580 used, possibly get a unit needing new pads to keep your price down and then find a used AMP in the FS section that meets your budget. If you can't quite fit it all in your budget get the headphones first and live with the lower quality sound for a month to save up for the amp.

BTW what is your current source, computer, mp3 player, etc?

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go HD580 used, possibly get a unit needing new pads to keep your price down and then find a used AMP in the FS section that meets your budget. If you can't quite fit it all in your budget get the headphones first and live with the lower quality sound for a month to save up for the amp.

varies between ipod touch and toshiba laptop

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would these be worth buying without an amp?

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Right back to square one, I would REALLY prefer to not have to buy used headphones, I've had alot of bad experiences with buying used products. Any other suggestions like the HD580s that are still around?

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 17
Check out the Sennheiser HD 238's paired with either a Fiio E1 or E5. You should be able to get both the headphones and the amp for around $110-$120 shipped. These sound great with rock and although they sound good without an amp they really benefit from a small one like the E1 or E5. The E5 is a pretty decent portable little amp for around $25 and has a bass boost option to help bring out bass a little.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 17
If you are going to only spend 200... I would advise you find a headphone that doesn't require being amped. A spade is a spade -A 150$ headphone is not going to sound leaps and bounds better with a 50$ amp... No offense, but at that price range I really don't think an amp is going to happen, and if it does, its money in the wrong place. Not to mention it is counter productive should you hope to upgrade at any point. Should you get a better headphone, then an amp in the future, you will end up with a better headphone, and most likely a better amp. Where as if you have a lesser headphone, and arguably useless amp, you need to upgrade both...

Which kinds of headphones have you tried? Are you familiar with the Ultrasone line? I would STRONGLY reccomend a Ultrasone 750. They offer a great balance between musicality and detail, and are speedier than your average can. They have a tight enough grip you could go on a brisk walk and headbang a bit, and loose enough they won't let you know they are on your head. They also sound better than any headphone I have tried straight out of an ipod -and sound good period. Amped, unamped, with a good source, a poor source anything, they always sound good. They do improve with better amping and sources, quite a bit too, but its not night and day like an unamped HD 600... which is a sin :p.

Do not think for a second the natural surround sound advertised is a gimmick. It is very subtle, and very much natural, and very much an asset.

They go for about 250 on ebay, but you could make an offer and see how low they will go. the MRSP is like 459.99 so its a pretty great deal. At full price they would be more than worth it. I realize that is 50$ outside of your budget, but that 50$ would bring you into the upper mid-fi echelon of headphones. You know, something quite substantial. Where as other headphones mentioned, besides the audio technica perhaps, are not really comparable at all. They look cheap due to the blue plastic, but I assure you they are built quite ruggedly. The audio technica have had issues with broken vices holding the drivers.

Hope that helped some. Check out the Ultrasone thread by Dex when you get a chance. There is a wealth of info in there on them.

Ultrasone PRO-750 Foldable DJ Studio Headphones PRO750 on eBay.ca (item 270482826126 end time 07-Feb-10 16:08:01 EST)

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to only spend 200... I would advise you find a headphone that doesn't require being amped. A spade is a spade -A 150$ headphone is not going to sound leaps and bounds better with a 50$ amp... No offense, but at that price range I really don't think an amp is going to happen, and if it does, its money in the wrong place.

+1

Going with any phones that needs amping, is just adding cost for very little return, especially if that 'amp' is a FiiO, running from a laptop. If there's anything that is able to demonstrate onboard sound is poor, it's the combo of laptop sound, good phone and an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back