AHH!! Freak accident with foam stuck in ear!!
Dec 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Winterlord

Head-Fier
I was burning in my c710 and decided to take a listen to see of there are any changes, put the foam tips on but I guess I didn't pay much attention to how good they were fitted, and as I pulled the phones out, the right tip stayed in the ear!

I was a little freaked, then took a cotton swab, pulled the cotton out (just the swab hehe) and tried to yank it out somehow. The funny thing is, that the foam tip was aligned, and the hole in it's middle allowed me to hear very clearly. I tried to yank it out from the side and from the middle but nothing helped. Searched the web for a similar case and of course found one in head fi. The guy in the other case took tweezers and pulled it out. But I don't have tweezers! I started renting this apartment recently and I don't have any tweezers yet. So I went out and bought a pair (nice ones, actually), even explained my freak situation to the saleswoman and she seemed kind of worried, but I told her I should just pull it out myself because there isn't really anyone who could do this for me at the moment.

So I went outside the store, and tried to find some bench to sit on and do it, and then I thought that just 300 meters away there is a hospital, contemplated a second and then thoght to myself "naaaaaaah". They probably will laugh at me over there. So I found a bench, took the tweezers and 10 seconds later it was out, damaged and not usable anymore but out.

I added a picture of this.. damn that was a weird ordeal.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 15
This is probably the wierdest thing I will see today.
Do you have really big hands/fingers? or do you cut your fingernails real short?
Seems like you could not pinch it somehow.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 15
I'm always having tips from my IEM's coming off in my ears. I love my PFE's but whenever the wife want's to tell me something and I take them out, off pops the tip and I have to dig it out. That's why I love my S4's. Those tips never come off in the ear. They don't fit quite right and sometimes I use the Sony hybrid tips but they come off as well.

Such is the life of an IEM user!

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, I guess this one was stuck in there real nice and snug, so it wouldn't come off just like that. And a toothpick? to my ear? this is just too damn scary. I would like to know that I tried every possible option before attempting that.

The worst thing is that I now have to use the silicone tips. I really liked the foamies...

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats why i never want to use comply foam :p

Freak accident as others in the thread have said. Comply is so worth it for SQ benefits . . .

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 15
This is how I learned to pack needle-nosed tweezers in my IEM case. It was an Ety6i with the triple-flanges, tips stuck in both ears.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 15
Happens to be me fairly frequently when I try other people's earphones / eartips and attempt to insert them as deeply as my Etymotic Bi-Flanges. Most of the time they just stay in when I pull out the earphone. Best way I found to fish them out is using the earphone jack, and sticking that into the hole in the eartip where they fit onto the nozzle, then levering them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back