Ah! Scared with the D515, help me!
Feb 23, 2004 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I sold my D515 on ebay. The unit was working flawlessly when I sent it out, and now that it gets to the buyer, it doesn't work. It powers up and spins the disc with the AC plugged in, but it fails to read the disc.

I really don't know what to do, the unit was in full working order when I sent it out (Canman, jonnycid, and mclaren20 can attest to it's working ability) and now this. What can I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Did you send the unit insured?

If you offered insurance, and the buyer took the offer, then you can sort it out. If you offered insurance but the buyer refused, then there's nothing much you can do. You could always refund him and ask him to ship it back to you and then sell it as needing repair but then you lose out on something that wasn't your fault.

I dunno, seems abit of an akward situation, maybe a member with some experiance of somehting like this will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 11
EMS offeres insurance up to $100, no more than that.

He stated that it won't read a disc, so I'm hoping it was a CD-RW or something
rolleyes.gif
. I'm getting worried, I played the unit for a full ten hours the last day I had it to make sure that it was in good working order!

The funny thing is, I experienced a similar problem with the D303 I bought on eBay back in November, it didn't work right at all, but after the unit warmed up a bit (it came from Canada) + the screw holding the motor in place was loose, it was working fine.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Further reply:
Quote:

AC Adaptor (Sony AC-96N, 9VDC, as supplied) connected to unit, providing power, no batteries installed:
-Commercial (store-bought) CD: Display illuminates, unit does not recognize CD, shuts down
-CD-R: Display illuminates, unit does not recognize CD, shuts down

AC Adaptor connected to unit, providing power, (2ea) AA batteries installed:
-Same results as above

AC Adaptor connected to unit, providing power, (1 ea) Sony BP-2EX battery installed
-Same results as above

Battery power only (No AC adaptor): (2ea) AA batteries
-Commercial CD: Plays OK
-CD-R: Plays OK

Battery power only (No AC adaptor): (1ea) Sony BP-2EX battery installed (after charging battery overnight):
-Does not power up at all

AC Adaptor tests:
DC voltage: 12.0V (not unusual for an unregulated power supply)
AC voltage: Less than 20mA as measured on voltmeter

Conclusions:
Difficult to diagnose without a schematic.
Does the Sony use an internal DC-DC converter to convert the 9V from the adaptor to the 3V it gets from the batteries? If so, a bad DC-DC converter might be the culprit. The AC adaptor measured normal--if the problem persists, though, I might try another 9V supply.

From this, I'm thinking that the AC adapter might not work, as the unit being powered by AA's works fine. The BP-2EX won't work, because it won't hold a charge, as I stated in the description of the item at eBay.

Does anybody know if a DC-DC converter is used in the D-515?

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

AC Adaptor tests:

That is your culprit... 20ma? that should be 500ma!

Its probably enough to power the display, but not enough to move the motor... on the downside, I would strongly advise against any further use of that adapter, as using an undernourished PSU can cause damage to the components, way moreso than a correct voltage, but higher than rated ampage PSU...

Depending on how much the guy paid you, it might be worth asking him to buy a ratshack adapter.. one that you choose from their website, and then you paypal him the $10 or whatever... that way, both parties should be happy...

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
That is your culprit... 20ma? that should be 500ma!

Quote:

AC Adaptor tests:

He might be measuring AC ripple? Otherwise he should have labeled that DC current.

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Canman...

I'm not sure, just seems strange that the display lights up using AC power, but nothing else, yet with AA battery power, it all works... seems like a power deficiency to me, from the AC line...

Time'll tell
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Tell him the specs he needs for a new adapter, and maybe offer to split the cost. I know it worked when you had it with that adapter, but from his experience he just bought a working unit that doesn't work, and has to pay more to keep it working.

Mar 7, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't get it. Did he say that it worked fine on battery power? I'm skeptical about the "AC" current measurement. I'm wanting to know how that test was performed. Normally you would only bother with a DC current measurement, which would require the meter probes to be in line (series not parallel). The current depends on the load, which would normally be a running player. How can you do this without snipping an AC adapter wire?

I have seen those kinds of symptoms many times with various vintage PCDPs. It sounds exactly like my D-211 actually. Sometimes if I advanced the tracks forward it would start playing.

I once got a response from Sony that it could even be a dirty lens. I would suspect either something with the lens or some kind of problem with the worm drive. The fact that it stopped working right after it was shipped would certainly lead one to think that it was mishandled in shipping. These old players are pretty delicate. It doesn't take much in my experience. My old players are constantly breaking for no apparent reason.

It's always a tough call in these situations from the seller's perspective, but from the buyer's perspective he received an expensive paper weight. It's just the kind of situation that makes me leery of Ebay purchases, especially with delicate old equipment. A working 515 is worth a lot but a broken one isn't worth much at all. Even if he had had enough shipping insurance, it may have been a difficult claim because there was no obvious shipping damage (like damage to the box or cracks in the player).

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 11
When I got my DCP-150 and didn't use the right ac adaptor, the unit would power up then shut down....but this might be something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back