AH-D7200 bass not what I expected
Jun 24, 2023 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

song2862

New Head-Fier
I purchased ah-d7200 after reading so many reviews that it had good bass but I found it lacking the "thump" or impact. D7200 sounds great otherwise.

I would really appreciate if you could recommend some alternatives except for TH900/E-mu teaks b/c they are not readily available where I live.

- been using ath-e70 and ath-ws1100. I specifically wanted to upgrade ws1100. I like all-arounders with good bass impact.

- Some cans I have in mind are mdr-z1r and beyerdyanmics T5 3rd gen. I am okay with getting a bit more fun sounding pair of headphones like z1r but I am not sure if it would have that bass impact I am looking for.

Thanks for help in advance!

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Are you getting a good seal with 7200 pads? If not, you might consider trying different pads. Proper seal is paramount to bass response

Since you like ath, could look into wp900. It has incredible bass. However it's more sub than mid bass focused. Its high quality bass is more about rattle, vibration than thump and impact.

Too bad you can't access th900, it has totl bass all around.

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you getting a good seal with 7200 pads? If not, you might consider trying different pads. Proper seal is paramount to bass response

Since you like ath, could look into wp900. It has incredible bass. However it's more sub than mid bass focused. Its high quality bass is more about rattle, vibration than thump and impact.

Too bad you can't access th900, it has totl bass all around.

I think I am getting a good seal. I am looking for that rumbling bass with impact. D7200 just doesn't seem to that kind of bass - it's there but not as prominent as I liked it to be. As for TH900mk2 I am going to ask my local distributor if I can demo it somehow (I heard the lead time was long.)

And thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try out wp900 when I visit a shop next time. I had ruled out ATHs as I was looking for bassy cans this time.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 10
You didnt mention a budget so I would check out the ZMF Atrium closed in a soft wood. Clean, tight bass slam and rumble.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 10
I've always found planar magnetics to have better bass slam than dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back