AH-D2000 vs HD650's for metal?
Jul 25, 2009 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Slayer666

New Head-Fier
I want to try a new pair of cans, I already have the AKG 271S & DT770's.

I have a very eclectic taste in music, but recently metal has become my new passion and as such, I would like to try a pair of cans that work well with that genre. As for subgenres, mostly thrash and death metal.

Which one of those two would you pick? and please tell me why also.

Thank you.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 15
Welcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one of those two would you pick? and please tell me why also.

What sound card or other equipment would you be plugging these headphones into?

I've already owned the HD650. It was bore me to death and put me to sleep smooth and slow from a cheap sound card, cheap portable amps, and vintage amps. I suspect it would take a megabucks rig to get the HD650 up to speed to where I "might" enjoy metal with it.

FWIR...

I wouldn't choose the D2000 for metal. But between the two, I'd buy the D2000. It's easier to amp and get up to speed. And it can be modded to sound more how I would like it to sound.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 15
I like the HD650 with metal (on the Solo), but you'd be better of searching for a Grado (SR325is?) or maybe a Stax for speed.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 15
I don't own the HD650 but i am about to add them to my rig in a few days.
everybody say that they very slow and mellow, but as a metal lover myself I would like to see how they handle fast metal tracks comparing to the RS-1.
If they are slow as everybody say,I guess it's a good thing if you like doom metal as well.
smile.gif

I guess the D2000 will be the better choice in this case...I own the D5000 myself and they are pretty dynamic and handle metal pretty well, as they do with other music genres, so the D2000 should be good also, maybe even better because they are supposed to be less warm sounding than the D5000 and more farward sounding.

BTW, i am not yet tried the HD650 but i am sure that they can be quick and dynamic with the right gear, and it doesn't have to be the most expensive...
although their overall sound sig is supposed to be a little laid back and "slow".

EDIT: don't want to put your mind off your two picks, but have you consider to get grado headphones?
If you ask me...they were made for metal and rock!

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 15
The 650s can do metal well but they need a lot of power behind them to do so. My pair put me to sleep until I put a pair of Raytheon (Tung-Sol) 6DE7s in my WA6-SE. Those tubes completely opened up the sound and gave the cans headbangingly good bass drive. I don't listen to much fast-paced, thrashy stuff but Opeth, Meshuggah, Textures and Pain of Salvation all sound great through the 650s.

An advantage of the 650s is that their laid-back sound makes poorly recorded material, like most metal, listenable for long sessions without fatigue.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Ultrasone HFI-780. Big punchy bass. fast and clear sound. I listen to rock and metal with them.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealApril /img/forum/go_quote.gif

An advantage of the 650s is that their laid-back sound makes poorly recorded material, like most metal, listenable for long sessions without fatigue.

that's a good thing to hear, because the grados are very sensitive to low quality recordings..you can hearvery pipsss and noise on the recording, also too harsh recordings can sound awful.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 15
HD 650s are marvellous cans..BUT need a very good amp behind them. No to the D2000s. Grados are good with metal and the HFI-780 would be the best compromise out of those listed above.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 15
I've heard the AH-D5000 that was Markl modded and I must say that unless you like your metal to be based around well, bass, then stay far away from the AH-D2000.

I would reccommend the ATH AD900 and although I have only heard the ATH AD2000, I liked how the midrange was accentuated (which allows guitars to shine thru - a lot of what metal is about)
I think the AD900 is placed at a nicer price-to-performance ratio at the moment than the AD2000.

But given your previous can choices, the HD650's, when properly amped, will be a huge step up and still retain the dark signature that you have grown accustomed to/ may prefer etc.

The ATH AD900 and AD2000 have no veil like the Senns and the K271, (to a lesser degree the DT770 also) so you may not like it.
It's a matter of personal preference.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 15
Unamped I'd strongly recommend against the HD650 for anything, but if you've got a really neutral sounding rig behind them you might like them - if you want an incredibly intimate and colored sound though don't buy. Don't have experience with the Denons. The 650s have a much different sonic signature than the DT 770s - much more midrange. Not too revealing of the garbage recording quality behind most metal I've listened to, which is something you want to hide a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back