Ah crap, IE8's cable is broken -_-
Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
I just stuck my IE8s into my ears and have noticed the sound coming from the left ear has gotten a bit quieter. It's very noticable
frown.gif
I swapped the wires around (So left wire went to the right earpiece and vice versa) and the right earpiece went quieter. So now I need a replacement cable from Sennheiser..has anyone actually got one from them yet? I've emailed them a few times in the past and haven't actually received any responses from them.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 31
You can probably get a whole new pair of IE8s from Sennheiser if their Canadian office is typical. The wire that came with my originals lost connection in it's ground lead after a few weeks and Sennheiser simply replaced the entire set. Took two weeks from shipping to return across Canada.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 31
Article 525719 (the 1.20m cable) is $30. But I would call them and start a warranty claim. If there is no visible physical damage, they should replace the cable under warranty IMO.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 31
I live in the UK and i had the same problem, resulting from too much fiddling around. I sent them back to Sennheiser (through the retailer) to be repaired, and they sent me a brand new pair. A couple of weeks later i stepped on them by mistake and damaged the housing. Again, i sent them back, and they once again sent me a brand new pair. Took about a month each time but besides for the wait i've only got positive things to say about the way they handled it. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 31
When I first got my IE7 (before upgrading to IE8s), the silver plating on the cable plug was chipping at some areas. I gave them a call at their HQ in Quebec and after an exchange of calls, the agreed to swap the unit. That being said, I'm sure if you give them a CALL - not email - they'll send you a cable right away. I was definitely impressed their CS.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 31
The left channel of my own IE8's became a bit quieter--the difference was subtle enough that I wasn't even positive until I did a series of comparisons with other earphones. I emailed Sennheiser USA and they told me to send the unit it for repair or replacement. After I did this (including proper purchase/warranty documentation) they shipped me a brand new, in-the-box unit.

This is surely excellent customer service, but I actually would have appreciated some explanation of what was wrong. Did a wire break? (I didn't even consider that, to tell the truth). I had thought that perhaps there was moisture or ear wax and something blocking the left earpiece from the inside. It would be nice to know what the problem was if in any way this would help me to avoid repeating the problem in the future.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 31
If it was my cable that was broken, I would definitely appreciate it more if they just send me a replacement cable rather than replace it with a brand new set because I'd hate to have to go through the burn-in process again...

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it was my cable that was broken, I would definitely appreciate it more if they just send me a replacement cable rather than replace it with a brand new set because I'd hate to have to go through the burn-in process again...

That's what I was thinking..I don't want to go through 250 hours of burn in again..

@MusicalMetal420, demo1 & DougGreenberg. Thanks for the info.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was thinking..I don't want to go through 250 hours of burn in again..

I was obviously bothered by the same thing, but wait till you get your brand new box with your brand new pair of 'phones, u will be strangely happy about the whole ordeal! Its all that excitement all over again!

Also, 250 hours? What's that, 10 days? Really not such a big deal IMO. And u get to see witness the amazing sound transformation process all over again! When all is said and done u will be pleased. My advice is don't waste time, just send them back!

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 31
Ok just an update. I'm not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me or something, but it feels like my IE8s sound ok again. But it seems I need a higher volume to play at my usual listening volume. Pretty confused at the moment.
Edit: It was just my ears, still slightly unbalanced by a bit.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@MusicalMetal420, demo1 & DougGreenberg. Thanks for the info.

what if they send you a brand new phone, but which has been burned in already?

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get that unbalanced feeling every now and then, and it annoys the crap out of me

I just saw this thread and I think am in the same boat. It's also such a difficult problem to diagnose as well. There's just so mnay reasons for this to occur. Sometimes it's stated that this effect is something inherent in the recording. Perhaps one ear is faulty or maybe there's a left ear dominance. Maybe it is in fact a problem with the phones or the plug or the player, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back