ah.. and yet another recommendation thread ( open headphones sub $200)
Feb 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

alrz

New Head-Fier

Couple years ago i was asking here for good sub 20 earbuds.I think i went with some fx 101 or something like that.They were really cool.
Since then i've bought a pair of se a-1000 and they are pretty good. ( only decent pairs for a good price in my country, other ones are crazy expensive... im talking double the cost of US)

Anyway, my brother went to germany, and i want to buy a nice audiophile pair for less than 200 Eur.( Oxymoron much? lol)

Primary uses:

Games: Soundstage is pretty important, but i also want inmersion. i want to really hear a grenade exploding and that sort of thing. 

Music: Very important too. pretty eclectic tastes, most listened genres include chamber music in general ( from classical to contemporary), EDM (a good amount of songs with deep bass), acoustic, house,some jazz, blues, very little rock, some metal, vocal... yeah that's pretty much it. I wont be making music with them, they would be for pure music enjoyment. Good instrument separation would be nice.

Movies: The least important of the three. Good inmersion is also appreciated, with deep bass for those intenese scenes.

By the way, they dont need to have BRAIN SHAKING DEEP BASS , but it has to be there. Open back headphones are the way to go imo, since they'll be used only at home.

Other important thing, im buying them on amazon.de ( germany) and prices are quite different. i.e : akg q701 is 350 Euros lol...

I've been lurking on this forums a lot of time but i cant decide!

Pairs i've been looking for: 

Senn HD 598   (EUR 163)  I love those, but according to reviews, their bass is really underwhelming. Again,i dont expect basshead 'phones, But the bass needs to exist.

Beyer 990 pro 80 ohm (EUR139)  a little afraid of the treble on this one.
Beyer 770 pro (EUR 139)

AKG K 701 (EUR 188) quite expensive compared to the others.

Others?

Thank you in advance!

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 17
I was going to recommend the HD598 (or 558 if you wanna save some money), but if you have listened to them, and find their bass lacking then you may wish to up your budget, or look into some closed cans which will have a more emphasized bass response.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 17
The DT990s seem the best choice in an open headphone for bass. You could always EQ down the treble a little if you find it too much.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 17
  I was going to recommend the HD598 (or 558 if you wanna save some money), but if you have listened to them, and find their bass lacking then you may wish to up your budget, or look into some closed cans which will have a more emphasized bass response.

no, i did not try them, im basing on reviews only. i changed the question so it does not cause confusion

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 17
even at $197.80 Euros?

I mean... paired with a decent amp they would cost about 270 euros, 100 euros more than the 598 alone. is it really that better? thank you for the answer

Then get the HD598. But as you already pointed out, some people find them wanting in bass.

You could also see if the DT880 are available and cheaper than the DT990s. They are more of a neutral response than the DT990s with good sub bass extension.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 17
I need someone that owns the 990's if possible to answer this: What amp do you recommend? I dont want to spend a lot of money on that. And, is the treble really annoying? i would not have a chance of returning them.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 17
  I need someone that owns the 990's if possible to answer this: What amp do you recommend? I dont want to spend a lot of money on that. And, is the treble really annoying? i would not have a chance of returning them.

What's your budget for amp?

The treble issue is individual. I personally don't have any problems at all. Some people are treble sensitive or are using the wrong amps.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 17
Another option at the lower end of the budget guidelines is HD558. It has better bass than the 598, but of course, you do sacrifice in other areas (detail, soundstaging, treble reproduction, etc.). And another option still is the Soundmagic HP200--has better bass than the 598 for about the same price (598's are cheap right now in the US!). Lastly, if you wanted to really just save money, I'd look at the Superlux 681 Evo and the Takstar HI2050 or TS-671--all would be under a hundred Euros and all are terrific--though not in the league of the HP200 or 598. Personally, if I were you, I'd get the 598. For what it's worth. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back