Aggravating tinnitus?
Sep 4, 2006 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oic929

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this should be in the amps forum, but anyway. I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but I have recently purchased a vintage Sansui receiver. I have had tinnitus for quite a while, but have always managed to ignore it. However, after 1-2 days with this receiver(using headphones), all of a sudden my tinnitus has become very pronounced. The volume I am listening at is no louder than what I used to listen to. Is this merely psychological, or could a faulty component cause this?

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
I dont think its got to do with volume, because I have not been listening to music any louder than I used to, which was always at a low and safe level.
I've noticed that when no music is playing there is a very low buzz, could this be whats causing it?

Edit: I dont think its caffeine, as this problem can be traced to when I started listening to the receiver.

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I guess some frequencies that are prominent with the use of the amp might of "awaken" your tinnitus? Just a thought. I do know that putting on my DT770 and using them to listen to music at the lowest volume triggers a ringing sensation in my head. However, funny thing is, I decided to play the test tone files of high frequency of 10k-20k Hz and it somewhat minimizes the ringing I hear in my head for a while (I wouldnt recommend it though, its probably doing more harm than good).

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oic929
I dont think its got to do with volume, because I have not been listening to music any louder than I used to, which was always at a low and safe level.

How long do you listen for? I too listened at very low and safe levels, but the duration got to me and caused my hearing issues.

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
How long do you listen for? I too listened at very low and safe levels, but the duration got to me and caused my hearing issues.

Never for more than 1 hour at a time. I'll stop listening these few days to see if there's any improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back