AFX - "Chosen Lords"
Apr 24, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fivefanband

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a huge Aphex Twin fan. I have been ever since the Richard D. James album came out. That being said, this new album has been spinning, on repeat, in my cd player, practically since the day it came out. I think it's a great evolution of his sound, and I especially love the tight production (great for the headphones).

I was a little surprised not to find any mention of it here. Am I the only AFX fan on the forums!?

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 14
Nope.. I didn't even know he had a new album out, though.

Thanks for the headsup
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 14
Just FYI, this is actually a selection of songs taken from the 11 Analord 12"s from last year. Obviously not nearly all, though. I'm going to have to check out this release, I'm curious about which ones he decided to put on there. It seems to be very well received, which I can understand if they did a good job picking the cream from that series.

Edit for correct number of records in series.

Apr 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Im still trying to get in to his new stuff. everything since richard d. james has been a little....sub-par, imho.

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
Just FYI, this is actually a selection of songs taken from the 12 Analord 12"s from last year. Obviously not nearly all, though. I'm going to have to check out this release, I'm curious about which ones he decided to put on there. It seems to be very well received, which I can understand if they did a good job picking the cream from that series.

You're absolutely correct, but if I'm not mistaken the analord series was released only on vinyl, and my turntable system is, in a word... awful. I suppose I could cough[size=xx-small]download[/size]cough the analord series, though, because I hear it's extremely good.

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
I've heard enough good things about the Analord series that I was planning on picking up all of it at some point. It's "only" around $100, at $9 per LP - which is a freaking steal when you think about it.

Just so you know, they're not LP's, they average about 4 songs per 12". And as FFB said above, yes it was only vinyl. I'd guess probably a little under half of the songs are on the CD, likely the cream (judging from the very positive response to it).

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 14
I thought about getting the vinyl, but then decided to just stick with the CDs, as the music is all digital to begin with.

Anyway, I love this release. In fact, it's one of my favorite ones from Aphex Twin's past few years. It, too, has been getting a lot of attention on my iPod and CD player.

Has anybody uncovered any of those 'easter eggs' that he loves to add to his albums so much?
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I thought about getting the vinyl, but then decided to just stick with the CDs, as the music is all digital to begin with.

I thought RDJ produced it all on analogue synths and sequencers, hence the Analord title.
smily_headphones1.gif
Electronic but not digital so in a way vinyl is more fitting than CD.

I picked up the 12"s as they were released including the first, Analord 10, with the binder for the rest of the series. Took a bit of persuading myself that a two track 12" was worth(?) £40. Some collectors are crazy; I've since seen them go on ebay for £300. Wish I'd bought two now.

Good music regardless. Got the CD too so can listen at work.

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Im still trying to get in to his new stuff. everything since richard d. james has been a little....sub-par, imho.

Huh...

Windowlicker was one of the best little singles/EPs I've ever heard, and his Drukqs album was wonderful. RDJ album was awesome, no question about that, but keep in mind this is a progressive and immensely talented musician.

His newer stuff takes more effort to get into, but it's also much more rewarding.

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
I thought RDJ produced it all on analogue synths and sequencers, hence the Analord title.
smily_headphones1.gif
Electronic but not digital so in a way vinyl is more fitting than CD.

I picked up the 12"s as they were released including the first, Analord 10, with the binder for the rest of the series. Took a bit of persuading myself that a two track 12" was worth(?) £40. Some collectors are crazy; I've since seen them go on ebay for £300. Wish I'd bought two now.

Good music regardless. Got the CD too so can listen at work.

Is that so?

I never read about that, but I truthfully do not follow Aphex Twin's catelog closely enough to know such things, I suppose. But thanks for the heads up! The vinyl seems to be a little expensive, but I may check it out on a later release if it's anywhere near this good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back