Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #466 of 515
The more time I spent using this IEM both of listening and for testing other IEMs, the more I’m impressed by what AFUL managed to achieve. It’s not on the same level with P8 on everything that I index for in an IEM, but I find it a better IEM than the P5, at least to me and my metrics.
It is also incredibly detailed and musical at the same time. I could listen using the M1 for a very long time while my P8 can be fatiguing after awhile. I am using high gain on my Schiit Hel+ which is not normal for IEM.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #467 of 515
Hi all,

question for all the Aful enthusiasts here. I'm looking for my second iem only owning the S12 Pros. I adore those but you know, I'd just like to have a second pair to have some variation.

To be honest I can appreciate different kinds of tuning, I don't wanna stick to one. I have studio monitors for very flat analytical listening, I adore the S12 because it's so dynamic when driven by a dac/amp. But I also love my V shaped over ears Meze 99 Noirs. Guess I just like variation.

So I'm looking for something to complement my S12s as far as IEMS go, not necessarily improve. I listen to indie rock, alternative, singer song writers, mostly. Bass is not an issue because a have an Ifi Hip Dac 2 with Xbass (but still want a decent amount of bass).

I saw quite some clips and for one or another reason I'm attracted to the Performer 5. But now I also saw the MagicOne so I'm in doubt.

So if anyone could help a bit, that would be nice. Tnx!

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #468 of 515
Hi all,

question for all the Aful enthusiasts here. I'm looking for my second iem only owning the S12 Pros. I adore those but you know, I'd just like to have a second pair to have some variation.

To be honest I can appreciate different kinds of tuning, I don't wanna stick to one. I have studio monitors for very flat analytical listening, I adore the S12 because it's so dynamic when driven by a dac/amp. But I also love my V shaped over ears Meze 99 Noirs. Guess I just like variation.

So I'm looking for something to complement my S12s as far as IEMS go, not necessarily improve. I listen to indie rock, alternative, singer song writers, mostly. Bass is not an issue because a have an Ifi Hip Dac 2 with Xbass (but still want a decent amount of bass).

I saw quite some clips and for one or another reason I'm attracted to the Performer 5. But now I also saw the MagicOne so I'm in doubt.

So if anyone could help a bit, that would be nice. Tnx!
P5 if you need more bass. MagicOne would be my recommendation though if you're looking for a more complimentary sound to the S12. The M1 is super smooth and it sounds fantastic for the music genres you listed. It is BA though so it won't have much sub bass but that to me is a plus since it will give you an alternative tuning.

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #469 of 515
P5 if you need more bass. MagicOne would be my recommendation though if you're looking for a more complimentary sound to the S12. The M1 is super smooth and it sounds fantastic for the music genres you listed. It is BA though so it won't have much sub bass but that to me is a plus since it will give you an alternative tuning.
Exactly, it interests me more to hear a different tuning. Or a major improvement but I don't wanna spend 1000 USD/Euro. I'm pretty new to IEM's, are single BA's a rarity?

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #470 of 515
Exactly, it interests me more to hear a different tuning. Or a major improvement but I don't wanna spend 1000 USD/Euro. I'm pretty new to IEM's, are single BA's a rarity?
Hybrids and multi-BAs are very common nowadays as well as single DD. This is the first single BA I've heard. I don't know how Aful managed to create such a remarkable sound with only 1 BA but man this thing is fantastic!

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #472 of 515
Still loving my P8’s. IMG_2291.jpeg

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #473 of 515
But shouldn't an Aful with 10 or 14 BA have also been released? Am I remembering wrong?
Still no sign of the 14 BA flagship.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #474 of 515
Still no sign of the 14 BA flagship.
I pm’ed them about it and Hifigo. I plan I getting the one and reviewing if I can get one in. I know they are still working on tuning.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #475 of 515
I've been listening to the P8's for around 2 months, I've tried but unfortunately I've been finding them too fatiguing in the upper mid range, when I'm out an about in the street often I'll have the sound bumped up a bit but I just can't do that with these, had this problem with the Blessing 2's also, looking at the FR chart I just didn't anticipate it as it wasn't that dissimilar to the P1 Max which is one of my favourite tuned IEM's,

graph.png

Not sure where to jump next tbh, I want something but very non-fatiguing but a step up over the P1 Max, maybe SA6 Mk2? Sigh.
The thing is that the p1 max and P8 differ a couple of db in exactly the area that most of us are very sensitive to : 3.5k - 7k. 1 db of EQ in that area is noticeable to me. 2 db changes the character of an IEM from revealing but pleasant , to revealing and fatiguing...(this is the area of the Tripowin Olina that was tamed in the Tripowin Olina SE) of course everything depends on the eartips you use. You might be able to tame the P8 with different tips... certainly comply, but also with a narrower bore silicone tip if you can experiment.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #476 of 515
I know they are still working on tuning.
If I send them a message, it would be “just tune like Magic One, and LET’S GO!!!”

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #477 of 515
My god, Gizaudio is hyping the Aful Performer 5 too much… I just had to order one.

I love neutral IEMs, the Softears RS10 almost killed the hobby for me. To this day, it‘s the best* I‘ve heard. (*Best as in technically most transparent and accurate, e.g. comparable to near-field studio monitors.) I‘ve tried a bunch of hyped up IEMs at Singapore in April and in Japan 2 weeks ago, but as a reference IEM - I haven‘t found anything better yet. (ThieAudio V16 sounded interesting, less mid-focussed, one that I‘d check out again in the future.)

But to not lose interest in the hobby, I decided to buy a new „fun“-tuned IEM. The Kiwi Ears Quintet (though having very heavy bass) impressed me a lot for the price. I now took a gamble and ordered the P5 instead, due to Gizaudio recommending it over and over again. Let‘s see…
how did you find the Quintet as compared to the P5? What tips are you using on each? Have you tried powering either though a simple iphone dongle?

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #478 of 515
how did you find the Quintet as compared to the P5? What tips are you using on each? Have you tried powering either though a simple iphone dongle?
I own both. A simple dongle is fine for both.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #479 of 515
It's been awhile since I had both but I'd take the Quintet over the P5. Quintet sounds great just a bit fatiguing to me personally. P5 just wasn't very memorable.

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #480 of 515
I own both. A simple dongle is fine for both.
I notice you posted PEQ settings for the Quintet, but not for the P5. I am not using pEQ, simply a graphical EQ called macEQ, 11 bands. At any rate, how have you EQ'd your P5, if I may ask? My issues with P5, using wide bore tips (I couldn't get any of my more narrow bore tips to get a good seal, including those supplied by AFUL), were 2: first, the vocals seemed veiled and rear stage. I fixed that by adding 2.7db at 2k. second issue was a sense of tizziness. For that I don't have a 5k or 6k bands to adjust, so I EQ 4k down 2.7db, and 8k down 1.7 db. That seems to solve the tizziness. As a bonus, I added 2.1db at 32, just to give the subbass a little help... though there isn't a lot EQ can do with a generic 8mm driver.

I have Final E tips on the way, which have a narrower bore than the tips I'm using now, and that might tame that 5k-7k tizziness I hear that I'm trying to EQ out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back