Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #226 of 615
1689259046746.png

I took this from the watercooler thread...interesting...P14 tech?

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #227 of 615
1689259046746.png
The P5 and P8 both have intricate tubes too…

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #228 of 615
1689259046746.png
It seems that they want to show off how good they can make those tubes now. Hard to imagine that structure inside P14.

I’m eagerly wait for P14. The price should (hopefully) in the ~$500 range. Last time in the internal doc shared by Hifigo, Aful compared P8 with Fourte, U18, Odin, and Z1R in their lab. This time, I hope thay they step up and match those IEMs for real.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #229 of 615
It seems that they want to show off how good they can make those tubes now. Hard to imagine that structure inside P14.

I’m eagerly wait for P14. The price should (hopefully) in the ~$500 range. Last time in the internal doc shared by Hifigo, Aful compared P8 with Fourte, U18, Odin, and Z1R in their lab. This time, I hope thay they step up and match those IEMs for real.
It’s interesting to see companies embracing the tubes, while other companies like 64 Audio think that tubes are “bad” and think their Tia drivers are the way to go.

https://www.64audio.com/pages/tia

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #230 of 615
It’s interesting to see companies embracing the tubes, while other companies like 64 Audio think that tubes are “bad” and think their Tia drivers are the way to go.

https://www.64audio.com/pages/tia
The 64 Audio tubeless design is amazing if you ever get a chance please try.
The New Scarlett Mini from FATfreq will be interesting as well simular idea.
The P8 for me was underwhelming great sounding just boring for me tastes.

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #231 of 615
M
The 64 Audio tubeless design is amazing if you ever get a chance please try.
The New Scarlett Mini from FATfreq will be interesting as well simular idea.
The P8 for me was underwhelming great sounding just boring for me tastes.
Now you know that if there is a 250Hz dip, it’s likely that you would feel bored. It’s an absolute win :dt880smile:

@jasonb : to be fair, even U12t has tubes for bass and mid drivers. Only the TIA supertweeters and the nozzles are not in tube. Only Trio, Fourte, and Duo are fully tubeless.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #232 of 615
Running my P8’s on a Topping NX4DSD as I’m writing this. These really scale well. Ok on the Apple dongle, good on the Qudelix 5K, great on the NX4DSD.

My NX4DSD is 5 years old so the battery isn’t doing great, and this device has always suffered from bad channel imbalance at under about the 9 o’clock area on the volume knob. I have to set the source volume one step under full or it’s unusable with sensitive stuff like the P8.

Using the Qudelix 5K wired to an iPhone just destroys the battery on the iPhone, so I’m also trying to get away from that. Even though the 5K has a battery built in, when it’s used as a wired DAC it’s powered by the device it’s plugged into.

I have the FiiO Q11 on order. So hopefully that can replace the NX4DSD. It has a battery built in and doesn’t pull power from the device it’s plugged into if you use the supplied usbc or lightning cable.

The difference with these on the NX4DSD is pretty wild. They just sound bigger overall and more open. The sub-bass fills in big time as well. The sub-bass becomes very impressive. The bass overall is on another level in terms of control and snappiness too. I’m currently listening to the live Pulse album from Pink Floyd. From what I remember reading in reviews of the NX4DSD is that it sounds on the cold, clinical, and sterile side according to many.

I hope the Q11 sounds just as good…

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #234 of 615
In Qudelix app there's an option to keep it using its own battery even when plugged :)
That is incorrect. With an iPhone it always pulls the power to operate the device from the iPhone. It won’t charge the battery in the 5K but it still pulls power from the phone.

I haven’t done any scientific tests, but I’d say it pulls probably 2-3 times the power that the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle takes. The best would be a DAC that just receives the digital audio signal and that’s it.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #236 of 615
Anybody know which BA drivers are inside the P8? I find the treble very similar to S12 very resolving and sometimes a little(!) piercing for hot tracks. I think it's due to the the subtle peak around 6.5-7 khz but it still surprises me because the B3 measurement looks way more aggressive around 8 khz. I have all IEMs on my desk now so no FR reading only. To sum it up:

P8 has great micro-details hands down but lacks some BA timbre imho
B3 has decent micro-details but sounds way more natural in the treble region

graph.png

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #237 of 615
Anybody know which BA drivers are inside the P8? I find the treble very similar to S12 very resolving and sometimes a little(!) piercing for hot tracks. I think it's due to the the subtle peak around 6.5-7 khz but it still surprises me because the B3 measurement looks way more aggressive around 8 khz. I have all IEMs on my desk now so no FR reading only. To sum it up:

graph.png
Isn’t the S12 just a single planar? No BA’s?

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #239 of 615

graph.png

You need to look at the balance across the whole FR and also consider the equal loudness curve effect.

P8 is very “flat”, so the treble would the more emphasised comparing to something Harman-ish like B3. Moreover, because the upper mid of P8 does not peak highly, you can raise the volume, which in turn makes the treble and bass louder (equal loudness curve effect). This is kinda similar to 64 Audio Fourte. It does not look that trebly in graph, but I was shocked how much treble it has in real life.

It seems you prefer Harman treble, which actually rolls off.

I don’t have much love for S12. That one gives me headache somehow.

For the BA, it’s likely some Bellsing. Otherwise, AFUL would make a big deal about using Sonion or Knowles drivers.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #240 of 615
The sub-bass can be very impressive on these. Everyone go play the song Sorrow from the live Pulse Pink Floyd album. There are some super low notes in this song and the P8 can definitely play them with some authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back