After the Essence
Nov 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MIKELAP

Headphoneus Supremus
What i would like to know using Denons ah d-5000 and a Xonar Essence STX. i wonder for example compared to a x-can v-8 ,schiit asgard,schiit bifrost,burson ha-160 would those external amps and dacs  be a night and day difference in sound quality or  not really worth the extra cash spent. and i see those amps i named are popular with this headphone but is there truly  an amp/dac combo made in heaven for these  phones lets say within $1500.00 .Thanks for your time.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Anybody  have infos on this or please direct me to a thread,so far i didnt find answer i was looking for. Thanks.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 16
Best and cheapest way for better sound is to upgrade the 3 op-amps in the STX.
You can get three LME49860NA op-amps off eBay for $15
AD797 op-amps are really nice, but lots more money (not sure how much?).

A $500 Hybrid Tube headphone amplifier might sound better.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the infos ,about those AD797 opamps do yo know the complete model number it seems theres a few models . Thanks 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for the infos ,about those AD797 opamps do yo know the complete model number it seems theres a few models . Thanks 

I did not have much luck figuring out the model numbers, I'm assuming some are DIP-8 and some are SOIC
The Dip-8 model should plug straight into the Essence
And the SOIC need to be mounted on a SOIC to DIP-8 thingy
Just do not recall which is which.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:

AD797ANZ is the DIP-8

SOIC versions
AD797ARZ
AD797BRZ (better sounding)

Someone described the AD797 as "cranky" chips
Good info on the Rockgrotto webpage

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for the infos. ill  search some more maybe ill find something. Thanks a lot.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 16
the Asgaard is your amp and you use the essences dac right. I have the denons d-5000 .That was an amp i wanted to hear feedback from , and on top of that your using it with a stx great .  how is the Asgaard compared to the stx amp. is there a big difference,in sound quality is it a lot better,  and  what is the output impedance of the Asgaard would it be o.k. with my 25 ohms Denons inquiering minds would like to know. Thanks looking forward to your input. Thanks a lot.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 16
If you're mainly listening with low impedance cans, I don't think I'd recommend the Asgard. The place where they really shine is with my higher impedance phones. The increased power gave the Beyers the oomph they needed for the bass to sound more solid and remove what I felt was a thin sound, even with the STX set at the higher impedance level. I don't think the sound is as much improved for my SR80s or Shure440. I mean they sound great with it, but it's not the same level of difference.

The Asgard won't kill the Denons, by any means. You can check the output impedance on the Schiit website, I think. I don't know what it is offhand.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 16
Did a bit of checking and the Asgard is not really for my  D-5000 but the Burson-160 d , Meir operas, Musical Fidelity vcan2.,Headamp GS-1 seem to be better choices ,because of there low output impedance. Hifiman and Nuforce not shure. Do you have any ideas or suggestions.Does  anybody for that matter with an STX card and  D- 5000 have any ideas .And an other thing .it seems the dac on STX is good. so would an amp only do the job keeping in mind that the idea is to have better sound all around. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm using D5k's together with Asgard and the cans sound more alive, compared to the amp that I was using before - ProJect Head Box II. The current setup still includes Pro-Ject USB  Box DAC.

Cant compare to other AMPs that you've listed, but if to compare with Pro-ject, the Asgard revealed many details in the recordings that I have not heard before. Also partially fixed the sibilance issue! Highs no longer get out of control. It still rolls off at times, but now I have a feeling that some tracks have been poorly ripped. 

What I'm saying is that you should not rule out Asgard because of the impendance. I'm quite pleased the way Asgard sounds through D5k's. At the end of everything - it's still an inexpensive  AMP. Although I have also heard that Denons and Opera play really, really well together. Too bad I dont have a possibility to audition the Opera!

good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide and how it'll play together! 

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the imput every little bit counts . The problem is that theres not to many brands i can listen to in Montreal even my prefered choices next they dont have like  MUSICAL FIDELITY M1HPA and .M1DAC. , BURSON HA160DS.AMP/DAC. INTERESTING PRICE or the 160D AMP/DAC/PREAMP and ill take a look again at the ASGARD. but theres the HIFIMAN EF-5 ill check out soon ,and also theGRAHAM SLEE and the PEACHTREE ,those i can listen to..Anybody else have suggestion or experiences dont be shy.im all ears. Thanks a million.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 16
Save some cash, just get a pair of AD797s, lots of sellers on ebay that have mounted AD797ARs to the SOIC/DIP-8, cost about 7.50 each.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 16
Hi the AD797AR you are talking about are they better than the   AD797BRZ chips you mentionned earlier  and you said people refer to the AD797s as CRANKY chips can you explain coulndt find on Rockgrotto.Last thing what about the LME49860NA are the AD797 better. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back