After reading this I need to..
Apr 14, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #31 of 100
Not being audio Professionals. Also true. Yes, I know you have experience in post production, music, etc. but those are not in the domain of interest: sound reproduction. And at any rate, members like Bigshot lack even what you have yet he is the most prolific poster here.

I'll see if I can get trained for a job with the Geek Squad.

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #32 of 100
[1] We are back to forceful posts against the clear facts in front of us.
[2] Not being audio Professionals. Also true.
3. No direct experience with high-end gear that subjectivists use, praise, etc. So in that sense he can say as the core part of his article that you all speak to things you have no first hand experience with.
[4] To be clear, we are not talking about "the forum"
[5] ... which you wrapped yourself in for protection and misdirection.

1. Apparently we are, so why are you doing it, yet again?!
2. The article stated "or audio professionals". I am an audio professional, so clearly the statement is NOT true and it definitelty is not "absolutely true"!
3. Not sure who you're aiming this statement at but I do have direct experience of some of the high-end gear subjectivists use. So again, false!
4. "To be clear", the article stated "audio forums"!
5. "Misdirection"? You're repeated tactic of accusing others of what you're guilty of, is predictable, tiresome and unproductive. When you are presented with the evidence contradicting your arguments, you simply misrepresent it, deflect/misdirect or just ignore it!

G

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 100
2. The article stated "or audio professionals". I am an audio professional, so clearly the statement is NOT true and it definitelty is not "absolutely true"!
He is an audiophile and is writing in the context of sound reproduction. He would not call you an audio professional because that is not the domain in which you operate. Just because an airplane has a wheel, it doesn't make it a car.

Apr 14, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #34 of 100
4. "To be clear", the article stated "audio forums"!
Read again:

upload_2018-4-14_10-49-3.png

He is complaining about people who troll audio forums. Not the forum itself.

He confirms the same in another paragraph:

upload_2018-4-14_10-51-32.png

upload_2018-4-14_10-52-27.png

So his beef is clearly with you few, not head-fi. Indeed vast amount of the content in this forum is of subjectivist nature.

Bottom line, you have little defense for his accusations. You have self-appointed yourself as he says. You have no credential in sounds reproduction (and post under an alias where any qualifications you have cannot be seen), are not an audio scientist, rarely reference of quote anything of audio research, etc.

Better accept this and self-reflect. Think about what you could do better as to not be accused this way. Attend a high-end audio show. Make some measurements. Read some research. Quote the same. Spend less time calling the other camp idiots and more time with constructive content that can be value to all. Just being the enemy of the other side is a useless endeavor in my opinion.

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #35 of 100
fetti-mote-and-beam-detail1.jpg

"The Parable of the Mote and the Beam" by Domenico Fetti (1619)​

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #36 of 100
[1] He is an audiophile and is writing in the context of sound reproduction.
[2] He would not call you an audio professional because that is not the domain in which you operate.
[3] Just because an airplane has a wheel, it doesn't make it a car.

1. Clearly this is utter nonsense! My domain is the design and creation of the sound he is trying to reproduce. Isn't the "context of sound reproduction" the reproduction of commercial sound?
2. If he wanted to exclude me and numerous other audio professionals like me, then why did the author use the term "audio professionals"?
3. Just because you are a kettle and the pot is black ... This post has got to be one of the most ridiculous responses even you've managed to come up with! You do realise that other people are reading your posts, can make up their own minds and that you're not doing yourself any favours?!

[1] Read again:
[2] So his beef is clearly with you few, not head-fi.
[3] Bottom line, you have little defense for his accusations.

1. I did read it again and it still says "audio forums"!
2. There isn't a few of us, there are tens of thousands of audio professionals like me and many/most of them post on audio forums. And, he didn't mention this sub-forum, any other sub-forum or even the whole of Head-fi, he stated "audio forums"!
3. Not choosing to take such ridiculous nonsense seriously and mocking it rather than mounting a defence does not mean I do not have a defence! Are you attempting to misdirect or just misrepresent? Kettle, pot, black?

G

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 100
Maybe Amirm can offer an accreditation course for people who would like to get into the field of posting in audio forums. I'm woefully under qualified for commenting on the internet it seems.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 100
I like you redcar. You're goofy!
30DB03DE-08FB-46D7-9EE1-41873D3080E0.jpeg
69F869F1-394A-4A58-85DA-B1A65C25ADD3.jpeg

It seems housewives had their way, slowly a man’s most accomplished possession his Voice Of The Theatre speakers were replaced by computer desktop speakers. A paranoid form of McCarthyism allowed audio equipment to threaten marriage and manhood to the point of going the way of the dinosaurs. Glad to hear there is at least one pair of old Hi/Fi speakers still around.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #41 of 100
Hmm, this is my first post on here after lurking for quite some time.

I tend to believe that charts can give a quite good idea of what something is going to sound like, but that there are plenty of factors at play that aren't/can't be measured that have an effect on perceived sound. Am I allowed to post here or should I stick to lurking?

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #42 of 100
Hmm, this is my first post on here after lurking for quite some time.

I tend to believe that charts can give a quite good idea of what something is going to sound like, but that there are plenty of factors at play that aren't/can't be measured that have an effect on perceived sound. Am I allowed to post here or should I stick to lurking?
You can post lol.....but if its digital in particular you might want to have evidence on hand to support what you say....and welcome:)

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 100

Yes! Especially if you can tell us what those factors are and show us controlled listening tests that show it.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #44 of 100
Yes! Especially if you can tell us what those factors are and show us controlled listening tests that show it.

Yeah, it's fun trying to find controls and trying to find a consistent way to articulate an observed phenomenon. I do research and development for a food science company, so this is something I deal with regularly when trying to account for different people's tastes and preferences (there's reason to believe there are genetic reasons for them) as well as their way of articulating them.
The problem is, nobody is doing large-scale controlled tests for audio on here, so there's a lack of meaningful data. I'm sure given the resources that someone could pool together a statistically significant number of people to determine if $500 Cable A is better than $5 cable B, but until that happens we're all on our own when it comes to determining where to spend our money.

I've always found the similarities between the audio world and the taste world to be interesting, especially when it comes to the hobbyist aspects of each world. I feel like there could be a lot of overlap between the two based on the personalities of each group!

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #45 of 100
Yeah, it's fun trying to find controls and trying to find a consistent way to articulate an observed phenomenon. I do research and development for a food science company, so this is something I deal with regularly when trying to account for different people's tastes and preferences (there's reason to believe there are genetic reasons for them) as well as their way of articulating them.
The problem is, nobody is doing large-scale controlled tests for audio on here, so there's a lack of meaningful data. I'm sure given the resources that someone could pool together a statistically significant number of people to determine if $500 Cable A is better than $5 cable B, but until that happens we're all on our own when it comes to determining where to spend our money.

I've always found the similarities between the audio world and the taste world to be interesting, especially when it comes to the hobbyist aspects of each world. I feel like there could be a lot of overlap between the two based on the personalities of each group!
We should set up a booth at CanJam and perform the study there on a hundred or so people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back