After having owned and listened to couple interconnects , I finally settled on Cardas
Aug 17, 2010 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
I got myself a carda neutral reference rca for btn cdp to line buffer and a cardas quadlink 5c XLR  for btn the line buffer to the amp. This combination sounds pretty good as it neither sound too lively or bright nore too dull or warm. Its really really detailed and neutral. The cardas neutral reference cables are pretty impressive, they are the best i heard so far in terms of neutrality , detail retrevial and seperation.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 30
Well, that explains your user name.

biggrin.gif
 just kidding.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 30

Quote:
Well, that explains your user name.

biggrin.gif
 just kidding.

haha you owned the golden reference rca before? How it sounded like?  I heard others in the line and cables such as golden cross which was too warm and syrupy.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 30
I did own one pair Cardas GF RCA and 3 GF power cables. They are boring, and round-off anything that pass throught them, which took emotions out of music a lot. Too bad they not as good as they priced.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 30
Haha it seems , based on the response,  i made a wrong choice. Well i am still looking around, just that right now these cables suit my listening that's all.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Haha it seems , based on the response,  i made a wrong choice. Well i am still looking around, just that right now these cables suit my listening that's all.

Hentai, don't be put off by others so easily. Enjoy your cables, as Cardas fans seem to be pretty faithful to the generally warm "house sound" they have. What is "dull and boring" to one listener may be "natural and lifelike" to another.

It's not just about system matching (which is important), it's also about one's personal tolerance to artificially bright sounds.

Finally, from what I've read,  I think that the amount of warmth varies with model. So if someone finds the Golden range too warm, that may not necessarily apply as much to the Neutral range.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 30
Guys,
I just got the new Cardas Clear Light interconnect in for a trial and I think it's something pretty special. Price is the same as the Neutral Reference. Haven't heard the NR in a while, but I think the Clear Light is a lot better.

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
Guys,
I just got the new Cardas Clear Light interconnect in for a trial and I think it's something pretty special. Price is the same as the Neutral Reference. Haven't heard the NR in a while, but I think the Clear Light is a lot better.

Oh if that's true , once my local distributor got it , i may request to trade in.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:

Hentai, don't be put off by others so easily. Enjoy your cables, as Cardas fans seem to be pretty faithful to the generally warm "house sound" they have. What is "dull and boring" to one listener may be "natural and lifelike" to another.

It's not just about system matching (which is important), it's also about one's personal tolerance to artificially bright sounds.

Finally, from what I've read,  I think that the amount of warmth varies with model. So if someone finds the Golden range too warm, that may not necessarily apply as much to the Neutral range.

Yep I've tried cardas 300B, quadlink, Neutral ref and golden cross ,both rca and xlr, and I settled on NR/quadlink combo due to budget and sound balance. 300B sounds unrefined and not so well defined bass, golden cross' too dull and 2 NR are too expensive. So i settled on NR and quadlink which imo the more neutral ones in the cardas line.

The previous silver DIY cables, nordost and kimber stuff i heard are bright and more 'exciting' than cardas, however the midrange tone doesn't seem accurate to me. Also, the cables are suitable for my cdp maybe because  my cdp has been tuned to focus more on the mid highs by the guy who did the modification based on my preference. The overall sound is really quite balanced and diana krall's vocal sounds more 'correct' to me than the previous silver cables. It can still sound bright if the recording is such.

All in all i really like what I am listening now.  I do acknowledge that its not as 'exciting' as some other cables but damn...the midrange tone is excellent. Furthermore stax is so revealing , change of cable makes lots of difference

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 30
Seamaster, I wasn't trying to imply that your or anyone's gear is too bright or not. My main point was that it is a shame if a head-fier stops enjoying their recent purchase simply because someone else doesn't rate it.

Back to Cardas: I thought that "Clear" was the fairly recent flagship model (read expensive) where they were moving to a more neutral and detailed style - and got a rave review in one of the mainstream magazines (don't they all). And that "Light" was the more recent, lower cost offshoot of Clear, which tries to maintain the flagship's sound characteristics. So I'm not sure what "Clear Light" means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back