After an intense prog/hard rock session;
Jan 31, 2007 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shasty

100+ Head-Fier
don't you sometimes feel like lightening up? I mean most of the prog rock I listen to are dark and complex ( or at least not happy), and after a while I just want to listen to something simple and bright to elevate my mood.

I find that trance and some classiclal rock helps some, but I want broader suggestions

Help anyone?

Btw I'm not a big fan of pop or alternative rock, but as long as it's good I'm open

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't you sometimes feel like lightening up? I mean most of the prog rock I listen to are dark and complex ( or at least not happy), and after a while I just want to listen to something simple and bright to elevate my mood.

I find that trance and some classiclal rock helps some, but I want broader suggestions

Help anyone?

Btw I'm not a big fan of pop or alternative rock, but as long as it's good I'm open

Listen to some happy prog post-rock. Sigur Ros comes to mind here. You can also enjoy some Explosions in the Sky, The Album Leaf, and so on and so forth.

//EDIT: Don't get me wrong: it won't be simple music, but it will be quite uplifting. You cannot possibly be angry while listening to Takk. It just don't work.
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 23
I'm a huge prog fan and sometimes I also feel that same way.

Some stuff I usually listen to to elevate my mood:

- October Project (Alt/Folk Rock)
- Chris Rea (Pop Rock)
- Talk Talk (Alt Rock)
- Supertramp (Art Rock)
- Paul Speer (Instrumental)
- Nils Petter Molvaer (Electrojazz)
- Erik Truffaz (Electrojazz)
- Earl Klugh (Soft Jazz)
- Jeff Golub (Crossover Jazz)
- Brian Bromberg (Jazz/Fusion)

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 23
Certainly... marillion, enya, Beatles, moody blues, tom petty, Steve miller band... to name a few.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 23
For the first question - no, not particularly. I can (and often do) listen to complex and dark music for hours on end. "Happy" music tends to bore me, actually.

For the second - you can try quirky, "music must be fun"-type bands like Bumblefoot, Freak Kitchen, and Bubblemath. Very upbeat, humorous, and intelligent music.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 23
some fun and smart bands:
stereolab
stars
pavement
wierd al
devo

certain songs too:
elo "mr blue sky"
doobie bros. "listen to the music" & "black water"
boston "don't look back" "smokin"

etc.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demetrio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Metal to lighten things up??
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I was sort of joking
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 23
i purchased estradasphere's palace of mirrors recently. very 'uplifting' prog rock. i cant stop listening to it.

for more 'simple/uplifting' music i'd recommend gregor samsa's 55:12. that girl's voice sounds so good in my ear. i may get laughed at but i really enjoy explosions in the sky. they're a happy, instrumental band. "the earth is not a cold dead place" is probably their most popular but i enjoy all their albums.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i purchased estradasphere's palace of mirrors recently. very 'uplifting' prog rock. i cant stop listening to it.

Absolutely seconded. Definitely one of the best of 2006.

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 23
I predominantly listen to complex metal/prog-rock, and depending on my mood, heres where I go to give my brain a little break:

Trip-Hop-Massive Attack
Minimalist Classical-Philip Glass
Post Rock-Sigur Ros
Minimal Techno-Plastikman
Lounge/Chill-Out-Zero 7
Nu-Jazz-St. Germain

And when you really have no clue what you wanna hear but want to slow things down a bit, a little Sinatra is always a good choice.

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #15 of 23
A cool electronica/downtempo group I usually listen to on such occasions is Bent. Any of their albums would do but my favourite would be Ariels; very dreamy, airy, blissful, upbeat electronic music. Something similiar but with a more loungy, far eastern vibe would be Ryukyu Underground; very addictive stuff.

For flatout, no frills electronica I always go for some, Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers and Way Out West, preferably at high volume too.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back