After a year of lurking... (Hi, and a recommendation request)
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

harry truman

New Head-Fier
Hi.  I finally decided to make an account after ~1 year of browsing/reading as I foster my growing audiophile obsession...

Anyway, in an attempt to [temporarily] curb spending, I'm trying to find a specific headphone (as opposed to buying everything interesting that I find).  My two go-to headphones are my Sennheiser HD555 and HD25-1 II.  I'd love to find something that offers the best of both of those.  What I like about both:
  1. The HD555 is open, over-ear circumaural, and has a great soundstage.
  2. The HD25-1 II is overall neutral with strong, punchy bass.
  3. Neither require amping, though with my Fiio e11 they both improve even more.
  4. Neither are terribly expensive.

I worry that I won't be able to find what I'm looking for without having to look at something that's more expensive and needs more power.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Well if you didnt have the HD25's I would be rather inclined to suggest the Grado Sr80s or something like that. Audio Technica could offer a nice change from your Senn headphones and they of course generally dont need to particularly amped or anything (in many cases). 

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
I've looked at Grado but it seems that there's not much of an improvement over what I have now until it gets up to the SR225i and beyond.  And just today I was reading some reviews about the ATH AD700X since they're on sale from BuyDig but it seems like they have even weaker bass than the 555...

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 7
I've looked at Grado but it seems that there's not much of an improvement over what I have now until it gets up to the SR225i and beyond.  

That's very debatable. For all kinds of rock, I either like as much or prefer the SR80i over any other headphone I've heard in the <$200 range. If it turns out you like the Grado sound, the same could easily be true for you.

You can also buy the L-Cush pads to put on the SR80i for $20 and get 80% of the way to the SR225i sound. The pads will (a) open up the mids and highs a little, increasing detail resolution and (b) improve the midbass response a little.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the drivers in the SR80i are pretty much the same as the SR225i, only the SR225i are a little better matched. That's why switching out to use the same pads can make such a big difference.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Do the L-Cush pads completely cover the ear?  Or is it possible to mod the SR80s to use a bigger pad?  I've so far avoided them because I read a lot about them being uncomfortable.

-- Landon

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 7
No. The L-Cush do not completely cover the ears. The Grados are definitely on ear headphones. Whether or not they are comfortable enough depends on you more than anything else.

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Forget Grado. If you want something reasonably priced with a strong punchy bass, great comfort and a good soundstage go for the Beyerdynamic DT990. Alternately you could step on up to the Hifiman HE400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back