After a Home Amp for HD650s Better than my Hornet
Sep 21, 2007 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jamvanman

Head-Fier
I have a Hornet for my portable rig (which I love) but am now looking to build a home rig for my HD650s. Something that would be a clear step up from the Hornet - perhaps in the US$600 range although I am reasonably flexible on this. I first had my eye on the Darkvoice 332 which seemed to be something of a bargain, but now I wonder whether I should just bite the bullet and set my sights a bit higher?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

James

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 18
Spending more money (maybe MUCH more) might not raise your sights enough to find a richer target. Do you have any experience with the Darkvoice, or are you just itching to spend more money on a name?

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 18
I've had my RSA HR-2 for years now and still think it has great synergy with the HD650. Haven't even been tempted to upgrade that part of my living room rig.
Talk to Ray.
=CPW=

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Headamp GS-1

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 18
As a bazillion people have said in other forums, the X-Can V3 compliments the 650s very well. It basically strengthens what is already the strongest attribute of the phones - an open, vocal-centric midrange. Compared to your Hornet, you will notice that the bass is not as prominent or quite as tight in the X-Can, but it's a really enjoyable synergy IMO.

To me, the 650s are not one of those phones you put on and are instantly thinking WOW, but you find yourself going back to them over and over because they're one of the few headphones that make you forget you're listening to headphones and remember you're listening to music. The X-Can enhances that.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 18
[shameless plug] I'd have to say that one of my favorite amps for the HD650s is the Wheatfield HA-2, specifically my modified version. In my experience the performance of that amp competes with any modern design I've heard under $1000 (and a bit beyond) and was only bettered by my beta22, which was significantly more expensive. [/shameless plug]

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Check out the Cantate as well: I got it for a home amp to replace my Hornet, and it is certainly a terrific amp. If you aim a bit higher the Opera is supposed to be even better.

Check out the link to my Laptop rig in my signature for a review of the Cantate and a comparison with the Hornet.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 18
if you can find a used hr-2 for $600 that would definitely be a nice choice.

another amp to consider is the woo 6 -- base price is $570 -- and sounds very nice. plenty of upgrade options, too, that you could do now or save for later when you've got more cash.

if you want to a little higher, the singlepower ppx3 slam is very nice at $800 new w/ 6cg7. used ones pop up pretty regularly on the fs forums.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 18
No one seems to recommend the Headroom gear. Have I bought the wrong amp here?
redface.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 18
Nope, if you bought Headroom, you bought well. Headroom owns the Wheatfield design now, sold the originals and will be releasing a revised HA-2 sometime next year (I think).

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 18
I started thinking of the Darkvoice just because I had read some good reviews and thought the price was pretty affordable. But then I wanted to make sure it would be clearly a step up on the Hornet (albeit a different sound). But then I wondered whether I would wish that I had gotten something like the Woo 6 instead. The GS-1, Singlepower ppx3 slam and RSA HR-2 also look very interesting and I'll take a closer look at them, too. As always, plenty to ponder. Am I right in thinking, though, that these would noticeably outperform the Darkvoice? And am I right in thinking that the 332 is generally regarded as better than the 336?

James

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamvanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Hornet for my portable rig (which I love) but am now looking to build a home rig for my HD650s. Something that would be a clear step up from the Hornet - perhaps in the US$600 range although I am reasonably flexible on this. I first had my eye on the Darkvoice 332 which seemed to be something of a bargain, but now I wonder whether I should just bite the bullet and set my sights a bit higher?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

James

Bada12 would be a nice step up.. Especially with the right tubes..

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one seems to recommend the Headroom gear. Have I bought the wrong amp here?
redface.gif

I get the impression you can get more bang for the buck else where..

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 18
Eddie Current Red Top when its released, bam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back