After a CD Player for under $US200
Mar 26, 2002 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

becomethemould

500+ Head-Fier
hi there. currently my dad and grandma is in hawaii.. but only for 2 more weeks now eek.. i was thinking last night of getting a standalone cd player, instead of using my pcdp, which i dont use as the rechargable battries are dead and i have an md. so im thinking of selling this and getting a decent cdp.

which ones do you guys recommend? i searched the forums and found these

Denon DCM-370
NAD C521
JVC XL-Z132

i guess i just need a decent player where i can record from into my md, and plug in my headphones (grado sr-60, sony 7506) without an amp ect. which one would you guys reckon is best?

thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by becomethemould
is the JMT amp a headphone one or a general one to drive speakers? im thinking of using the cd player to built up a mini system in my room, coz the current one i have is crappy.. keeps skipping. thanks Audio&Me!

JMT builds headphone amps.

Mar 27, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

is the JMT amp a headphone one or a general one to drive speakers? im thinking of using the cd player to built up a mini system in my room, coz the current one i have is crappy.. keeps skipping.

The JMT amp is just for headphones. If you're thinking of building up a mini system, you should seriously consider the NAD L40. You can buy one for $349 online (factory reconditioned, with a factory warranty). It has a built in CD player and radio, and a power amp for speakers. The headphone jack is also very decent. If you can't afford real speakers just yet, you can connect up cheap computer speakers to the preamp output.

Mar 27, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

hi there. currently my dad and grandma is in hawaii.. but only for 2 more weeks now eek.. i was thinking last night of getting a standalone cd player, instead of using my pcdp, which i dont use as the rechargable battries are dead and i have an md. so im thinking of selling this and getting a decent cdp.

which ones do you guys recommend? i searched the forums and found these

Denon DCM-370
NAD C521
JVC XL-Z132

i guess i just need a decent player where i can record from into my md, and plug in my headphones (grado sr-60, sony 7506) without an amp ect. which one would you guys reckon is best?

thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though that's not much to choose from, get the Denon...it's got a half-decent headphone output and is easily better built than the NAD. I wouldn't touch a NAD CD player (well, S500 excepted) with a ten-foot pole myself; their build quality can be atrocious at times.

- Wasif.

Mar 28, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
I wouldn't touch a NAD CD player (well, S500 excepted) with a ten-foot pole myself; their build quality can be atrocious at times.

That's odd, since they have one of the best reputations for good build quality in this price range. To offer an opposing viewpoint, I've owned 3 NAD CD players, and all have worked flawlessly for years, (the oldest well over 10).

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 21
If you can find Parasound CDP-1000, go for it. I believe the transport section was made by Japanese company called CEC which is pretty much serious in this business. I am not sure whether Parasound tweaked the DAC section in this CDP. But it competes well with above 500 machines like SONY XA-20ES, Rotel 975 which I owned. I still prefer my beloved Meridian but Meridian is like above 1000 machines in terms of price.

In US Parasound is available under 200 used but I am not sure in your situation.

Personally I don't like the NAD sound. They sound punchy and missing inner details to my humble ears. I don't have a chance to listen to Denon so don't have anything to say.

Good luck for your hunt
Jibra

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 21
Also consider the AMC CD8B. It's $199 from Audio Advisor. I have had one for about six months and I like it. It has a digital out so you can record to MD digitally (although you will need a coax to optical coverter).

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

That's odd, since they have one of the best reputations for good build quality in this price range. To offer an opposing viewpoint, I've owned 3 NAD CD players, and all have worked flawlessly for years, (the oldest well over 10).

Best reputations for good build quality?? Yes, they sound decent for the price, but use flimsy drawer mechanisms and chassis designs. I also don't see how reliability is directly related to build quality? I'm talking about quality of materials..not only do I want my players to last but to also to look like they're not made by Fisher Price.
And this is not just my own opinion, but also one that's expressed in most reviews of NAD CD players..

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Best reputations for good build quality?? Yes, they sound decent for the price, but use flimsy drawer mechanisms and chassis designs. I also don't see how reliability is directly related to build quality? I'm talking about quality of materials..not only do I want my players to last but to also to look like they're not made by Fisher Price.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about "build quality" in terms of "reliability" -- working for a long time, not breaking down, etc.

If you mean "the drawer is made of plastic" then yeah
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back