after 5 years !!
Jan 25, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

[L]es

100+ Head-Fier
i finally got around to getting a "high-end" dac. my first dac was the maudio superdac, followed by an evs millenium 1b, these were for hi-fi. then i moved to pro-audio to try what they have to offer. third was the emu 0404 usb, the behringer src2496 and now i finally have a dac1.

i heard about the dac1 five years ago when the guy who got my superdac replaced it with a benchmark.. i was all.. "lucky guy" and didn't think much of it. last week i thought of selling some old stuff and get the benchmark preowned (for the volume control so i can run WASAPI off of my mobo's digital out).

i am happy
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you for reading.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 14
i'm running it as a dac into a pair of studio monitors (see sig). the volume control is very handy as they can get quite loud with the digital out set at max volume.

thanks guys ! (i just love this forum)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 14
Please [L]es, can you tell me if I'm missing anything from my music..

Is it really worth to buy a high end DAC?

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dunno sonci, what is your current system ?

Ok sorry,
Flac--Foobar--Asio---EMU1212M-SPIDF(coax)---Moodlab dac---Denon PMA700---KEF iQ3. (BJ Cables)

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok sorry,
Flac--Foobar--Asio---EMU1212M-SPIDF(coax)---Moodlab dac---Denon PMA700---KEF iQ3. (BJ Cables)

I can't see anything that lets you miss out on the music you listen to though upgrading is always an option. Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by [L]es /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moodlab is non-os so you're probably missing extreme highs and lows, aside from that.. i've never heard a moodlab so i can't say anything.. sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont want to discuss about various DAC cause it would take months, without results, just tell me, did you notice any difference when adding the DAC1 to your current system.

I know its difficult to be objective, it seems that everyone DAC is the best, because everyone has to justify to himself, the money spent.

I dont pretend to hear the "heart beat of the singer", on high end stuff, but to know if the difference is worth the price,

One more question, does one have to buy every piece of the chain in the same price range, or you can add a high end DAC to med speakers.
Thanks,

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 14
sonci, i'm running a pair of samson rubicon's these are in the 400 - 500$ range, they're ok but could be missing much. i plan to upgrade to focal's studio monitors.

i got the behringer to replace my broken emu as i couldn't really live with onboard sound.. behringer was ok and had a couple of friends say it was very detailed and the guy who bought it even said it sounded like the benchmark... not to my ears, the detail you get with the dac1 is something else. it transformed my pop recordings to audiophile recordings. it lets me really hear into the music (rock lyrics are almost all so clear now). you get a whole lot of instrument separation and soundstage is very open...

hope that's enough
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back