after 20 mins of Pink noise, My m50 transformed!!!!!!
Feb 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 32
Taken from the Burn-in FAQ:

Is burn in actually real?

The idea of burn in has always been controversial. Some people say that there is evidence that proves it while others say that there is evidence to disprove it. Some consider the phenomenon to be purely psychological conditioning while others insist upon physical changes to the drivers, and some agree upon a combination of the two. You are free to be a believer, and you are free to be a skeptic. Whether or not you believe in it and the position you take on the subject is a choice that you should make for yourself.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Taken from the Burn-in FAQ:

Is burn in actually real?

The idea of burn in has always been controversial. Some people say that there is evidence that proves it while others say that there is evidence to disprove it. Some consider the phenomenon to be purely psychological conditioning while others insist upon physical changes to the drivers, and some agree upon a combination of the two. You are free to be a believer, and you are free to be a skeptic. Whether or not you believe in it and the position you take on the subject is a choice that you should make for yourself.

"Burn-in is not a myth, it just depends on the construction of the driver.

Most headphones use ferrofluid to suspend the coil in the electromagnetic gap, or have no spider and the only part to undergo burn-in is the surround of the diaphram itself. To "burn-in" a part you need to make it move and this is usually most easily achieved using low frequency sounds, however there really is no point to burn-in for most parts as they will slacken up naturally with use. If a driver has a spider to keep the coil aligned in the magnetic gap then the spiders can also be loosened up over time. You can see this on older subwoofers with spider sag.."

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #18 of 32

around 50 at least
Quote:
Quote:
I never burn in with pink noise, the sound was never perfect for me. I learn some website which has a  20 minutes sample of wave pink noise. I did a  20 minute session at loud volumn

damn, the sound changed so much. I can hear every single detail in a flac song recording now. I can't believe the changes it was able to do in such short time. 

Out of curiosity, how long were you using the headphone before you did the burning in with pink noise?

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #20 of 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most headphones use ferrofluid to suspend the coil in the electromagnetic gap, or have no spider and the only part to undergo burn-in is the surround of the diaphram itself. To "burn-in" a part you need to make it move and this is usually most easily achieved using low frequency sounds, however there really is no point to burn-in for most parts as they will slacken up naturally with use. If a driver has a spider to keep the coil aligned in the magnetic gap then the spiders can also be loosened up over time. You can see this on older subwoofers with spider sag.."

Heh. Wonder why you put your reply in quotes (" ")...

Anyway, while burn-in is mechanically sound, the way some describe burn-in as magic is definitely coloured with expectation, and could only be accounted by psychological effect, not actual magnetism. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Heh. Wonder why you put your reply in quotes (" ")...

Anyway, while burn-in is mechanically sound, the way some describe burn-in as magic is definitely coloured with expectation, and could only be accounted by psychological effect, not actual magnetism. 

Because it's a quote...

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 32
Of all the (many and varied) theories I have read on burn-in, Steve Deckert's still makes the most sense to me and he isnt a fan of pink noise.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #23 of 32
I guess my impression might be placebo effect. I was listenning to power of love by celine dion right after the 20 min burn in session with pink noise. I thought heard some notes I never heard before.  I also listen to the same song couple days ago. that impression got me to start the post. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
As much as I wanna say this is BS, the M50 is the only headphone I thought DID change within the first hour of burn in. The treble out of the box was extremely metallic. Like just ridiculously so. I left them on for an hour and that metallic treble mellowed out considerably. I don't care what anyone says, I did notice that difference. I didn't even put them on between that first listen and the next hour, and used the same test track. The treble never went back to having that overly metallic sound.

Other than that, I don't believe in burn in, though I still do it just because.

I agree with you here, except that IME it was the bass that changed. It appeared out of nowhere. That happened within the first few hours. Everything I did after that had absolutely no discernible effect, and I have yet to experience another headphone to change at all through use. In fact, it is my experience with the M50--despite the concession I made above--that makes me so skeptical of burn-in.

Like you, though, I do it in hopes of finding an instance where it does make a drastic difference. One should aim to disprove his hypothesis, not prove it.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #26 of 32
Ultrasones REALLY benefit from burn in as the drivers they use are super stiff out of box.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 32
ultrasone is too expensive, they are usually over 200 dollars. I agree ultrasone are good bass headphone. Wish I can try one someday. I wonder how's S logic thing does ? so it 's like crossfeed two channels i beleieve?

Quote:
Ultrasones REALLY benefit from burn in as the drivers they use are super stiff out of box.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #28 of 32
Although, I cannot say with 100% certainty that it was conditioning or burn-in, it is a fact that after listening to my M50s for a period of time that I did notice an improved, and enjoyable listening experience. I like to think my ears and headphones became one and achieved a state of zen.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
ultrasone is too expensive, they are usually over 200 dollars. I agree ultrasone are good bass headphone. Wish I can try one someday. I wonder how's S logic thing does ? so it 's like crossfeed two channels i beleieve?

Quote:

no, the Slogic is the placement of the driver allowing the music to naturally funnel into ones ear making a more natural sound stage.also the M50, and ultrasone HFI-580 are the same price and IMO the ultrasones were better.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #30 of 32
would this effect Grado's? what exactly is pink noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back