Afordable Tube upgrades for Head MG
Oct 21, 2002 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PAGEFAULT

Head-Fier
Hey! I was just wondering what are some afordable tube upgrades for the Head MG? Afordable for me is under $50 for all 3 tubes, if posible. Also, is it posible to have like 2-3 good tubes and change them depending on what kind of sound you feel like that day? And lastly, were is a good place to buy? Id perfer New tubes to NOS if only for availybility and concistancy.

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 5
You can do very well under $50. New tubes aren't worth your money. Stick to older vintages.

For power tubes: Try some of the older Valvos. These are inexpensive and plentiful. They sound great in the MG Head, too. I recently picked up a pair for $15 shipped. They tested at 56mA and 54mA, so have plenty of life left.

Now that leaves you with a $35 budget for a 5751. For this you can buy any of: Sylvania Gold Brand, Sylvania JHS, Tung Sol, etc. I slightly prefer Tung Sol. The universal favorite is probably either of the Sylvanias. Some people like the Raytheon black plates, but I put them a tier below the others - less detailed to my ears.

Good luck.

Brian.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I have had very good luck with the Ei Elite EL84's. As for the 12AX7, you're on your own. Waay too many to choose from.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 5
I just saw a set of four sylvy gold brands fetch $260 on ebay!
There is also a guy who's selling Sylvy green labels for twenty bucks a pair.
md

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I just saw a set of four sylvy gold brands fetch $260 on ebay!
md

Lunacy.

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back