Affordable tube amps?
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
While browsing for an amp for my yet to arrive DT880s it struck me that they aren't that many "affordable" tube amps, say between $100-200, that could compete against SS amps in that price range like the PIMETAs. Apart from the Little Dot II, there are not many other amps that are available in the price range. Is this due to a lack of competition for cheaper tube amps or is it that there is insufficient demand to justify spending money developing a more "affordable" amp for those who are just beginning on their Head-Fi journey?

Aug 11, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au
While browsing for an amp for my yet to arrive DT880s it struck me that they aren't that many "affordable" tube amps, say between $100-200, that could compete against SS amps in that price range like the PIMETAs. Apart from the Little Dot II, there are not many other amps that are available in the price range. Is this due to a lack of competition for cheaper tube amps or is it that there is insufficient demand to justify spending money developing a more "affordable" amp for those who are just beginning on their Head-Fi journey?

Millet hybrid? check out some of sjosae's designs.. they're pretty simple and cheap

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Well I should add, easily available to more people around the world. I didn't consider the Millet but I have heard that the mainstream designs are very expensive and as such aren't "affordable", unless someone can point me to a place where I can find such a tube amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back