Affordable speakers for the computer
Oct 26, 2006 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

theobservatory.

100+ Head-Fier
I plan to buy a pair of really affordable speakers for the computer, probably one of those 2.1 things. This won't be for critical listening, just for background music. I need room filling sound with beefy warm bottom end and no shrill highs. Just a decent speaker thats on the cheap. Been looking at the Altec Lansing ATP3 so far. A friend has been raving about the TDK Tremor series. Anyone heard of them?

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 8
The only cheap computer speakers I've heard recently have been Logitechs, and they certainly fit your request. No shrill highs, lots of bass. They sound pretty bad.
biggrin.gif

To me, most 2.1 sets under $100 sound fairly similar.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg36
You may want to check these babies out.
They are from Klipsch, and are a 2.1 with excellent bass, and great sounding mids, crystal highs.
$119 on Amazon, and don't let the low price fool you...they are awesome little speakers.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/det...media-2-1.aspx

Take Greg's advice. The Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are most definitely worth considering. I am very happy with the sound they produce out of my XtremeMusic sound card. They sound fairly warm and the bass is great. Look into them. They are also THX certified which says a lot (in some people's opinions).

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 8
It's too bad Boston Acoustics decided to stop making computer speakers after Gateway decided to start manufacturing their own. I got started on the Boston Acoustics Media Theater set in '97, and I'm still using it today. You might try looking for a used set, since they're usually found for well under $100.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Try the Fostex powered monitors. The PM-1 MkII is stunning but probably out of your pricerange. Don't worry, though: they have smaller, less expensive units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back