Affordable sites for Hi-Def downloads ?
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 17
Don't get too hung up on high-def, it won't give you any benefit over CD. Also, DTS is not high-def, it's the opposite, it's highly compressed using lossy compression!

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get too hung up on high-def, it won't give you any benefit over CD.

I hope your are just pulling our chain here with that statement.

I just got done reviewing the new Reference Recordings HRx albums with a resolution of 24 bit / 176.4 kHz. I've never hard anything sound better in my life. In addition I've ripped several DVD-Audio discs at 24/96 and the sound compared to the 16/44.1 version is so much better I can't even listen to the CD version anymore.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 17
Hey I don't know what the hell 26/96 means but musicgiants.com has HD audio for about 15$ and album. Can someone explain what 26/96 is bc if its better than HD, i want to hear it lol.

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 17
You're welcome Headdie.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I don't know what the hell 26/96 means but musicgiants.com has HD audio for about 15$ and album. Can someone explain what 26/96 is bc if its better than HD, i want to hear it lol.

I guess the real issue is that this site does not actually tell you what you buy when you pay for HD or even Super HD.

Just that fact would make me not buy from that site.

Cheers

Thomas

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the real issue is that this site does not actually tell you what you buy when you pay for HD or even Super HD.

Just that fact would make me not buy from that site.

Cheers

Thomas

True, Thomas. I thought the same before buying however the bitrate and file sizes are large and larger. I don't know too much, but it sounds good to me. Do you know what 26/94 means?

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

What are the best/affordable sites for Hi-Def downloads? Sites where you can download 24/96 formats (DTS, FLAC, WAV or others) ?

Thanks,

Is free affordable?

You can get the new Nine Inch Nails album, The Slip, in 24/96 lossless.

nine inch nails: the slip

Enjoy.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your are just pulling our chain here with that statement.

I just got done reviewing the new Reference Recordings HRx albums with a resolution of 24 bit / 176.4 kHz. I've never hard anything sound better in my life. In addition I've ripped several DVD-Audio discs at 24/96 and the sound compared to the 16/44.1 version is so much better I can't even listen to the CD version anymore.

We covered this in the 16bit vs 24bit thread. In short, there is absolutely nothing to be gained using 24bit unless you are a recording engineer. There is no added resolution or quality to be gained compared to 16bit and this is true of both the theory and the practice. Unless you can hear sounds up to about 80kHz (normal human hearing is about 20kHz) a sample frequency of 176.4 is just as pointless.

If the recording sounds better it's because they have recorded, mixed and/or mastered it better, not because of the format it's in. In other words, take that recording and re-sample to 16bit/44.1k (using a good quality dithering unit) and it would not be possible to hear a difference.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 17
No doubt! The high def stuff is just recorded with better equipment, technique, and attention to detail.

I record vinyl at 24/96 because any editing or noise reduction benefits for the greater word length.

The prices on those downloads at Linn and other sites are overpriced.

On a mid to hi-fi sound system, CDs should blow you away, as will a great vinyl record.

DC

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 17
The high def stuff is usually identical. Pretty much all music for the last decade has been recorded at higher bit depths/sample rates and then dithered down to 16/44.1.

Recording or processing is better using the higher rates because it allows for more headroom but for playback there is no advantage. If you can fool the public though it's a great way to generate some extra cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back