Affordable Roon Core Device?
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oronymo

New Head-Fier
I'm tentatively getting more into Roon more for its DSP and recommendation engine on top of Qobuz (which is not great for recommendations). I mainly just use it on the same machine I'm listening on, but am considering branching out and using it in other rooms, but i don't want my laptop running all the time to support that.

Is there an inexpensive device that can run Core? This about 99% Qobuz streaming (I have a tiny local library that I basically never listen to), so lots of storage space is unnecessary, but lots of good CPU power to run DSP (upsampling, etc.) would be ideal.

I was thinking maybe a used Mac Mini?

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Inexpensive used to be a Raspberry Pi, but no idea what current market pricing is on them.

Roon lists out their partners and devices: https://roon.app/en/partners

I realize it's a lot to go through, but at least it's a starting point.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm tentatively getting more into Roon more for its DSP and recommendation engine on top of Qobuz (which is not great for recommendations). I mainly just use it on the same machine I'm listening on, but am considering branching out and using it in other rooms, but i don't want my laptop running all the time to support that.

Is there an inexpensive device that can run Core? This about 99% Qobuz streaming (I have a tiny local library that I basically never listen to), so lots of storage space is unnecessary, but lots of good CPU power to run DSP (upsampling, etc.) would be ideal.

I use a late 2012 Mac Mini (i5/8 GB with SSD) as core, works flawlessly.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 9
A small NUC would do the job but the Mac Mini is also a good choice and likely has a better power supply. I am using my 2015 i5 MacBook Pro only for Roon and it does a good job, no issues even when processing my DSD256 tracks. I don’t currently use DSP or other features heavy on the CPU, total usage is around 10% give or take.

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 9

I shot this guy an offer of 200, he accepted pretty fast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285071365945

I wouldn't pay more.

Added a 2 tb ssd and installed ROCK on it and it works great. ROCK is the way to go imo. it becomes an appliance.

May 18, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 9
You kindly offered to come over sometime and educate me on Roon, and I need to make myself available next time you are in town and have some time. I will say, my headphone system has improved a lot since the last time you were here (most recently, inexplicably to me, although there is probably a good reason, with the firmware update to my Cary streamer/dac and the switch to TIDAL Connect, that alone made a significant difference in clarity and ambiance. Vocals and stringed instruments just float in the air now...)

One of the guys at Cary told me, since I stream directly from my modem to my streamer/dac (then directly to the amplifier and headphones), that I could install Roon on my desktop, using it as my "core", then use my iPad as a viewing device and remote control, with no degradation in sound quality. Since, with that setup, the signal path of the music (digital stream) would be unaffected - the path of the music stream would remain unchanged and nothing to do with Roon would appear in the path of the music (digital stream). Does this sound about right to you?

I think one major difference between my situation and that of most people:
I only stream music and listen to some CDs. With this situation, I can utilize Roon for informational purposes, which some enthusiasts say is mandatory because Roon's system is so good, without affecting the signal path of my music.
Most people own a lot of music stored on their computer or music server (?). Perhaps in this situation, when listening to digitally stored music on their system, the music stream has to pass thorough whatever computer system is operating the core.

Probably, next time you come to my house you'll have it explained to me in five minutes!

So sorry I missed the headphone meet this year - it looks like the (normal) great time with friends and great food and interesting equipment. Had a lot going on at my home, and with my (aging, mostly well) Mother, and I just couldn't do it! I look forward to seeing you sometime soon though.

May 18, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 9
@DelsFan
I would love to see you next time I'm in town.

The benefits of Roon as they apply to you:
A nice interface
Additional Artist info/images/lyrics
Roon Radio (when your currentl playlist/album is over, then Roon auto picks music to play that it thinks you like based on what you just listened to)
New Releases for you section
Your Daily Mixes section
Statistics, time listened each day over the last 4 weeks, and history of what you listened/ top genres/top artists / top albums.
DSP, including DSP Volume Control
Why I chose Roon is because:
Easy to send data to my Bricasti DAC via LAN
Easy to use the same/similar interface throughout my house (Phone, Tablet, PC interfaces are very similar)
Easily combines Local Music with Streaming music
Easy to control music anywhere with any device, along with transfer music from office to Living room.

1684428101417.png

Disadvantages of Roon:
Currently Streams only Qobuz and Tidal (Not Amazon music/Apple music/Spotify)
It is kind of expensive, but compared to how much I spent on this hobby, it isn't much
Requires a RoonServer (which can be an existing computer or dedicated box)

May 31, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 9
I keep signing up for and then dropping Roon. I just can't justify the ongoing high cost and added complexity on top of my Qobuz subscription.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back