Affordable portable DAC/AMP to pair with HD650
May 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

franmon83

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I already have my bases covered for my main setup (audio-gd Compass 2) and at work (Fiio E7) and I got a Fiio E9 that I sometimes use in my bedroom, but I'm now looking for a secondary setup to listen to music on my laptop at night.

I want recommendations for a portable (either battery powered or preferably USB powered) DAC/AMP to pair with my MacBook Pro and my beloved HD650. I can use USB input or optical, via the MBP optical out.

I was hesitating between the 
- AudioQuest DragonFly USB
- Fiio E07K (which I could sometimes pair with my E9)
- Fiio E17
- Meridian Explorer (a little over my budget)
- CEntrance DACport
- HRT microstreamer
- Arcam rDAC
- ...Anything else I missed?

I want good value, but I mostly want to have fun and expand my choices (which is why I did not go straight ahead and bought Fiios to match with my E9). I prefer not paying too much (obviously), but for the right piece of equipment, who knows? ;P

I am mostly listening to as many variations of electronic music as I can find, but I don't want something that will only pump the bass over anything else (i.e.: I hate Beats, but I have a pair of Grado SR225 which are way lacking in the bass section to my taste).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

May 14, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Budget? Affordable and not "paying too much" means different things to different people :)

JDS Labs C5D

Leckerton Audio UHA-4 or UHA-6S.MKII

FiiO X3 or X5 (can also be used as a USB DAC)

May 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Good point.

I'd rather pay less than 200$, but I'd be willing to go up to around 300$ for the right device :wink:

Good. Then I wasn't over your budget except for the X5. :)

Read this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier

I think the next notch down for me (in price), would be the C5D or the UHA-4.

The FiiO X5 has the same amp/DAC hardware as the E17, only optimized slightly better. So not a bad thing if you like the E17 but wouldn't mind having a DAP built into it, too.

May 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks a lot for the suggestions cel4145!
Read this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier

Indeed... looks very interesting. According to this guy, the Leckerton beats almost any of the other portable he owns, including the Fiios, particularily for pairing with big cans like the HD 650... Plus it got so many connectivity options! I will definitely look into that.

The FiiO X5 has the same amp/DAC hardware as the E17, only optimized slightly better. So not a bad thing if you like the E17 but wouldn't mind having a DAP built into it, too.

I never had considered buying a player before, but the more I read about the features, the more versatile this solution sounds to me...

I will check in my area (Quebec, Canada) if I can find some deals on one of those suggestions... In the meantime, if anyone has any other opinions or hands-on experience, I'm all ears!

May 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 7
Glad to help.

MP4Nation carries FiiO products and ships worldwide.

Leckerton you just buy direct: http://www.leckertonaudio.com/

And the guy that did that review, Tyll, is probably the most respected professional headphone reviewer around here. He really knows headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back