Affordable music servers?
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Music servers tend to be expensive. Know of any affordable ones? Share them here!

Note that when I say music server, I am referring to a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio; not merely using a conventional computer or DAP as an audio source.

Here's an example: http://musicapristina.com/shop/a-cappella-ii

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 19
Well, I would avoid anything that calls itself a Music Server from any of the audio manufacturers.  Those things are so grossly overpriced it's almost comical.  A new laptop can be had for about $300-$400.  Add a decent dac - your choice $300- $1000 and install Foobar or Media Center and you have a pretty sweet, expandable server with all the networking built in.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 19
  Well, I would avoid anything that calls itself a Music Server from any of the audio manufacturers.  Those things are so grossly overpriced it's almost comical.  A new laptop can be had for about $300-$400.  Add a decent dac - your choice $300- $1000 and install Foobar or Media Center and you have a pretty sweet, expandable server with all the networking built in.

This thread is about dedicated music servers. Your post is not.

Read my profile. I have owned the stuff you are talking about. I even own an external hard drive array that cost four figures.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 19
  Music servers tend to be expensive. Know of any affordable ones? Share them here!

Note that when I say music server, I am referring to a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio; not merely using a conventional computer or DAP as an audio source.

Here's an example: http://musicapristina.com/shop/a-cappella-ii

What, specifically, makes the device in your link (or any music server) different from a headless PC?

It's a computer
It runs an OS
It uses the same interfaces
It has the same storage options
It can be accessed remotely

IMO, "music servers" are just typical computers with functionality limits built in.  At a higher price.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 19
  What, specifically, makes the device in your link (or any music server) different from a headless PC?

It's a computer
It runs an OS
It uses the same interfaces
It has the same storage options
It can be accessed remotely

IMO, "music servers" are just typical computers with functionality limits built in.  At a higher price.

Read the info on the link (as well as their home page, etc.) if you want to learn about the differences. It is not a PC. It is far more advanced. You shouldn't jump to conclusions before researching these things.

Anyway, what I am looking for in an affordable music server is something that is what I mentioned: "a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio." I don't want anything else on it. I don't want a PC.

Actually, though, the one I linked to requires you to

1. connect to it remotely
  2. control it from a PC
  3. connect external storage to it (unless you get optional onboard storage, which is limited)

I'd prefer an all-in-one player for now, like a DAP, except a desktop device with mass storage, like at least 3 TB.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 19

Read the info on the link (as well as their home page, etc.) if you want to learn about the differences. It is not a PC. It is far more advanced. You shouldn't jump to conclusions before researching these things.

Anyway, what I am looking for in an affordable music server is something that is what I mentioned: "a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio." I don't want anything else on it. I don't want a PC.

I have read the entire page on that product - a lot of adjectives and adverbs, but nothing of actual technical consequence.  That device is a PC running a Linux OS supporting the typical mainstream inputs, outputs, and music formats - nothing special there.  And they manage to achieve that for the low, low price of $5,497.00....

Serious question - I have an Intel NUC that functions as a music server.  It does nothing else (though it could).  How does this not meet your definition of "a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio"?  If I ran Linux instead of Windows on the same NUC, would that somehow be different?

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 19
  I have read the entire page on that product - a lot of adjectives and adverbs, but nothing of actual technical consequence.  That device is a PC running a Linux OS supporting the typical mainstream inputs, outputs, and music formats - nothing special there.  And they manage to achieve that for the low, low price of $5,497.00....

Serious question - I have an Intel NUC that functions as a music server.  It does nothing else (though it could).  How does this not meet your definition of "a dedicated device for the mass storage, browsing, and playback of digital audio"?  If I ran Linux instead of Windows on the same NUC, would that somehow be different?

Research the product. There are all sorts of things involved that are different from a normal computer. They went to great lengths designing it.

Well, if you can direct me to something like what you have that I can buy without having to put it together myself, it would be appreciated.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Research the product. There are all sorts of things involved that are different from a normal computer. They went to great lengths designing it.

Well, if you can direct me to something like what you have that I can buy without having to put it together myself, it would be appreciated.

I've researched the product and still don't find anything different than a normal computer other than a closed OS. If I'm missing something, please direct me to it specifically. The web site makes a lot of claims, but I can't find any specifics, just functionality available in any build. Certainly nothing that would be audible is visible in their build description.

It isn't completely labor free, but it will take less than 5 minutes and no tools to plug in the memory and M-2 SSD in the package in the link below. Add the OS of your choice and your up and running. If you don't want to do the labor, you could find someone to do it for a few hundred max and still save almost $5000 over the system in your original link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1IQHKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The model of NUC in the link has room for an additional hard drive if you want a larger SSD for secondary/music storage.

If you want a fully built NUC with the OS installed, http://www.e-itx.com/intel-nuc-systems.html offers them.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 19
I've researched the product and still don't find anything different than a normal computer other than a closed OS. If I'm missing something, please direct me to it specifically. The web site makes a lot of claims, but I can't find any specifics, just functionality available in any build. Certainly nothing that would be audible is visible in their build description.

It isn't completely labor free, but it will take less than 5 minutes and no tools to plug in the memory and M-2 SSD in the package in the link below. Add the OS of your choice and your up and running. If you don't want to do the labor, you could find someone to do it for a few hundred max and still save almost $5000 over the system in your original link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1IQHKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The model of NUC in the link has room for an additional hard drive if you want a larger SSD for secondary/music storage.

Here are some links that can provide insights.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/music-server-options-baetis-musica-pristina-music-vault-please-help-15448/#post230969
http://musicapristina.com/blog/2015/4/30/theres-no-such-thing-as-digital
http://musicapristina.com/digital-audio-buyers-guide
http://musicapristina.com

One difference is the linear power supply. That's mentioned on the main link as well.

If you want technical info, you'll need to contact them directly.

You can also check out the thoughts from those who have used it, though subjective impressions are probably meaningless to you.

http://musicapristina.com/news-reviews-awards/

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 19

Oh, I see - a computer with an external dac and music server software used for only playing music is NOT a music server.  My humblest apologies - I don't know what I was thinking - where was my head?

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 19
Main diffrence between a headless PC and a dedicated music server: the latter has a streamlined firmware as opposed to an OS designed to do a lot of things. Start it up and it's supposed to do just one thing. Some would pay more for something that does less if it's simpler to set-up.

I on the other hand realized I had something free on my hands, I just needed a dock and an OTG cable. Storage of course is limited to its internal microSD card, but I haven't tried wireless as I haven't purchased an NAS yet (and the whole point is so I won't have to run an actual computer just to output digital audio to reduce battery wear on my laptop as well as not have to walk over to the other room to power up my gaming rig).

As for the A Capella II, it's somewhere between both. At that price though I'd still much rather get a Marantz. If it's for a music system, there are 2ch Network Receivers now that you just hook up to your LAN and then run a remote app, plus such receivers also have a subwoofer output so using a mainstream brand amp as opposed to a more HiFi brand like NAD or Rotel will at least be less of a problem with clipping when the speakers are pushed hard because at least you'll have a powered sub handling the bass.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 19
Auralic Aries Mini with a user added SSD drive.
Cocktail Audio has a couple.
Cambridge Audio CXN with a USB Memory stick full of music.

I use a Naim UnitiQute with the amp turned off and a 128GB USB stick with my music on it.
Bryston BDA-2 with a user added ssd.

Marantz na6005 or 8005 with a USB stick

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 19

Main diffrence between a headless PC and a dedicated music server: the latter has a streamlined firmware as opposed to an OS designed to do a lot of things. Start it up and it's supposed to do just one thing. Some would pay more for something that does less if it's simpler to set-up.

I on the other hand realized I had something free on my hands, I just needed a dock and an OTG cable. Storage of course is limited to its internal microSD card, but I haven't tried wireless as I haven't purchased an NAS yet (and the whole point is so I won't have to run an actual computer just to output digital audio to reduce battery wear on my laptop as well as not have to walk over to the other room to power up my gaming rig).

As for the A Capella II, it's somewhere between both. At that price though I'd still much rather get a Marantz. If it's for a music system, there are 2ch Network Receivers now that you just hook up to your LAN and then run a remote app, plus such receivers also have a subwoofer output so using a mainstream brand amp as opposed to a more HiFi brand like NAD or Rotel will at least be less of a problem with clipping when the speakers are pushed hard because at least you'll have a powered sub handling the bass.

Yes, that is part of the appeal for me. I want something that only does that one thing, with nothing else to potentially interfere.

I do just fine with my current system (see profile), but I want something more dedicated. If the linear power supply and so on of the A Cappella II improves sound quality as they (and users) claim, I have no problem eventually buying it. But it would be nice to experience a dedicated server that is more affordable in the meantime.

Also, I only use headphones, not speakers.

Auralic Aries Mini with a user added SSD drive.
Cocktail Audio has a couple.
Cambridge Audio CXN with a USB Memory stick full of music.

I use a Naim UnitiQute with the amp turned off and a 128GB USB stick with my music on it.
Bryston BDA-2 with a user added ssd.

Marantz na6005 or 8005 with a USB stick

Allow me to elaborate upon my needs and preferences. I need at least 3 TB of storage, preferably with automatic backup. I don't need wireless streaming. I only listen to music at my computer desk. I want everything to be connected via cables. I would prefer an all-in-one device that allows you to store, control, browse, and play the audio, but it's not a requirement. All-black color scheme would also be nice.

Currently I am using an Alienware M11x R2 laptop ($1,400) and Buffalo DriveStation Quad 12 TB external hard drive array ($1,100) on the source end. (My laptop sounds just as good as a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, so I'm just connecting my laptop directly to an amp right now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back