Affordable headphones for a subtitles editor with a slight hearing loss?
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Vadrim

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'll do my best to be clear, but English is my second language, so please forgive any mistakes and such.

I work as a subtitles editor for people who are deaf or have a hearing loss.
But I'm starting to have problems with my ears too: I have some trouble with frequencies starting somewhere between 1-1.5khz, and it's getting worse between 2-4khz.

I don't make so much money that I can afford an expensive pair of headphones, and the ones provided by the job are horrible: Sony MDR 210 and Sennheiser HP 02-140.

The ideal headphones would have to following advantages:
- A comfortable circumaural pair of close headphones that I'll have to wear with eyeglasses for 8 hours/day in an open workspace.
- A long, one sided cable.
- It must make voices sound clearer to my ears.
- A good sound stage, so it doesn't sound like a wall of noises when several people talk in a noisy place.
- It must provide a high volume because they'll be directly plugged in a Dell Optiplex, with integrated audio and no amp. For that, I understand it needs to have a low impedance?
- Ideally, the cable would be removable.
- Ideally with a volume control (but I know there aren't plenty of good affordable headphones with such a thing).
- For a price of around 100USD and available in Canada. Preferably from Amazon.ca to save on shipping costs.

I already have two nice pair of headphones.
- Shure SE215: they're nice, but not good enough for my job and not comfortable enough to keep in my ears a whole day.
- AKG Y50BT: that's what I use right now, but they're my home headphones. Also, they could be a bit more comfortable and better with mid/trebles.

I also tried an old pair of HD 201. It was just so slightly better than the headphones I got from the job...

I really don't know what to choose, because I have no place to go and try other pairs to compare with my AKG and I don't want to make a blind purchase and end up with two pairs of similar quality. I do have a list of options based on what I read on these forums and other websites, but they're all either a bit too expensive or not qualifiying for some of my needs.
- Sony MDR V6
- Sony MDR 7506 (better with mid/trebles?)
- AKG K240
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
- JVC HA-RX700 (that I could mod to make them sound better?)
- ATH-M20x / M30x / M40x (the last ones having the removable cable)

I hope someone can help me make the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back