affordable DAC/AMPs with Balanced outputs?
Sep 10, 2016 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zeusthunderbolt

New Head-Fier
I've been using a Maverick Tubemagic D1 Plus/Grant Fidelity 09 clone, the Xiang Sheng DAC-01A for about four years. Been mostly pretty happy with it. Bought it for the tube out but ended up using the SS out most of the time.

I recently acquired a pair of Presonus Eris 5 studio monitors and I'd like to see what the fuss is all about when it comes to Balanced audio. That's not my first criteria for getting a new source component though, since I have a feeling it might turn out to be an overkill for a mere enthusiast such as myself. 

Anywho, I stumbled upon the latest upgrade to the DAC-01A, the DAC-05A and it seems to be a solid option for my needs. My only concern is the actual DAC chip, PCM1794. In this case, the implementation incorporates two chips, one for each channel.

What kind of sound signature can I expect when compared to the CS4398? Are there other/better options out there? Should I opt for something that incorporates the likes of AK4399/4495/4497 or even the ESS9016/18?

I tend not to upgrade my gear that frequently, therefore I need something I could be happy with, for a couple of years or so.

http://goo.gl/pZvQsI

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back