Affordable custom IEM's- help please?
Aug 22, 2009 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, i was previously considering custom tips for my shure's or ultimate ears, but then i stubled upon a few brands that make custom IEM's which are quite affordable!

What i'm looking at now (and i'll do the play off each other brand thing)

Alien ears C3 Pro

Fidelity Custom Fidelity Triple.

JH audio JH5 pro

Each has features that i'm make them attractive in different ways! It's pretty annoying. As of now, i've pretty much abandoned the idea of buying portable headphones, and have decided to sell a pair of IEMS, and invest in some cheaper custom monitors.

SO, Back to those two the pro's and cons:

C3 Pro:
pro's
-Alien ware, free mold kit (which i can ask my ear doctor that i've known for a long while to install for me)
-10-day return, should i not like it ($30 restocking fee)
-free shipping, and they'll return the molds.
-quicker turn-around
Possible cons
-for low end lovers, i'm concerned about there being no balance, as they say there is two low- drivers, and one high, whereas the fidelity's have one low, one medium, and one high. this is my main Concern.

Fidelity triple:
pros:
-3 drivers, one each for high, mid, low (not sure what to take from this, but i assume it's even sound, again my main concern).
-Pelican case!!!!
Cons:
- i'd have to pay $100 for impressions
-No return-it if i don't like it. basically i'll be stuck, and won't know the difference. another main concern.

JHAuido jh5 pro
Pro
-Everyone seems to love them
-Reputable maker
-fits price range
Concerns
-lowest end that JHAudio makes, and i'm not thrilled about it
-only 2 drivers, though i'm not sure what difference the sound quality will make. I have heard his 2 drivers are better than three separated ones. (something to do with capacitors)
-i'd have to get impressions for $100

I'm pretty confused, as this is the first time i'm diving into the custom world, having previously written it off for the price range.

I know this is a long winded post filled with many questions, and i apologize for it. I hope it doesn't scare people with experience with these monitors away from posting!

I would greatly appreciate advice, and opinions! Also, if a make has escaped my search, I would definitely appreciate to know of it!
tongue.gif

thanks!

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 7
There are litterally dozens of other makers which fit that price category, but if you are in the states, maybe only about 5 more (that I know of)

Incredible ears have ones in that price category
Sleek Audio CT6
Ultimate Ears UE4pro

I lost the links for the others. I have the CT6 which is great. Price does not always mean a measure of quality, though often it does. I am sure the JH5 is amazing along with the other choices.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm stumped. I'm crossing out the fidelity triple, because i've read MANY complaints about soundquality.

BUT I've also found the original MYLIVEWIRES.com !!!

Yet another option. Are the duel drivers offered there the same as the original livewires, before fidelity split off?

THERE ARE SO MANY!!! How does one choose! i feel pretty overwhelmed!

Here's the list:
Fidelity duel drivers- $259
sleek customs (single driver) - $349
Alien ears C2 (duel driver, I decided i wouldn't like the c3, as i don't like too much bass)- $325
JH audio JH 5-pro (duel driver)- $399 (which is bordering on my budget so far
LiveWire original (duel driver, which i'm told many love, and i don't think they've changed)- $250
LiveWire Trips (triple drivers)- $350

That's what i've got now. I need help eliminating them. I'm trying to achieve the best sound quality within my budget, as only the alien ears offer returns, and i'm not planning on doing this again! I really want to buy just one pair and be happy with it for a long while, so SQ is pretty important.

Also, could someone tell me, is there any REAL difference between duel drivers and tripple? And do they all use crossover?

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 7
May I just ask why you must have custom IEM's at this price point? Price doesn't necessarily correlate with value, but a universal IEM should outperform a custom in the same price bracket. I don't mean to be rude, I'm just curious.

If I absolutely had to have a custom, and I was explicitly limited to the low end options, I would go with JH Audio. They are easily the most reputable, and have come highly recommended from many people whom I have a lot of respect for.

I would be extremely hesitant about making my own impressions. For such an important (and expensive) item, I would trust only a professional, but I'm sure a lot of people have experienced success with the ear mold kits.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm in dental school and I took impressions of my ear canals (outer to border of middle) and I'm making a cast of them and fabricating some custom tips out of a dental acrylic resin. Although very few people will have access to these particular materials, I wonder if there aren't some materials out there that would be available to the general public and function for this?? Anyone....anyone???

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, to be honest, With my $400 max budget (without counting impressions), was a higher price range then i'd spend on universal fit.

I'm after the perfect and Ideal fit. and after much consideration, and what i've read about select few budget customs, i'd rather have customs. Originally I was aiming to acquire Westone 3's and then getting custom tips made for them, thus achieving a budget custom headphone. However, i then read that custom tips have the nasty habit of snapping the barrels off of monitors, because of added leverage, and also increase the space between the monitor and the inner ear.

I opted for budget custom monitors, as i've read a lot of positive reviews, especially from the Livewire original (or T1, i don't know which came first).

Also, i wasn't planning on making my impressions, because i'm fairly sure i'd do it wrong. I was planning on taking the free kit to my trusted ENT or audiologist and asking nicely if they would do it for me.

But, i've decided to knock alien ears and fidelity off my list, as a brand- because i've read a lot of horror stories about bad products from fidelity. And the price to technology from alien ears is out-done by other companies.

That would make my updated list:
sleek customs (single driver) - $349
JH audio JH 5-pro (duel driver)- $399 (which is bordering on my budget so far
LiveWire original (duel driver, which i'm told many love, and i don't think they've changed)- $250
LiveWire Trips (triple drivers)- $350

I Realized, i ought to mention, i don't like super bright highs. My ears are pretty sensitive, and over bright highs cause me some discomfort. i don't know if this is a factor which will eliminate one.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 7
I've decided to take a different rout. I've decided to divide these by budget and technology, rather than which is best all together.

the low- price bracket, which consists mainly of duel-driver models:
Livewire duels at $250
HY/Alien C2 pro. $325

so basically i'm trying to find out whether the $75 difference is worth it, as both the alien and the livewire are duel armature. The main plus that the livewire has is the swiveling connection. though it looks flimsier and less streamlined then the aliens, it's a potentially useful feature.

The high bracket:
Livewire Trips
JH audio JH5

basically, if i choose to go whole hog and hit the top of my budget with these (assuming impressions will cost yet more), i'm leaning towards the JH 5s. Though, the livewire trips have 3 drivers, i still don't know if that means they're better. i think, if i was to get livewire, i'd take advantage of that $250 price tag, which would bring the final to $300-50

or the JH which would bring the total to $500.

again, i've gone and confused myself more than i was originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back