Affordable closed back headphones
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Longstrong

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm on the hunt for some closed backs. I've done a lot of research for my open backs, but I'm not too picky and know next to nothing about what to look for in closed back cans. Main goal is to listen and be quiet, not blow my socks off sound quality. Comfort is probably most important

looking for a few recommendations maybe in price categories $100-200 / $200-300

thanks in advance!

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 12
If you're open to buying used, a DCA Aeon Flow Closed. Dan Clark headphones, in general, are extremely comfortable.

If you don't mind a darker and more colored tonality, an AudioQuest NightOwl, again used. I've not owned that one but I had the open back NightHawk. One of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 12
If you're open to buying used, a DCA Aeon Flow Closed. Dan Clark headphones, in general, are extremely comfortable.

If you don't mind a darker and more colored tonality, an AudioQuest NightOwl, again used. I've not owned that one but I had the open back NightHawk. One of the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned.
Thank you! I'm looking into them now! 🫡

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 12
I recently got Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X, $250, and they are comfortable and sound good.

If you're "not too picky" the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, $79, have many fans. The Audio-Technica M50X and Sony MDR-7506 are recording-studio stalwarts; I also have the the Sonys but I find their clamping force a little too strong for my head.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 12
I recently got Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X, $250, and they are comfortable and sound good.

If you're "not too picky" the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, $79, have many fans. The Audio-Technica M50X and Sony MDR-7506 are recording-studio stalwarts; I also have the the Sonys but I find their clamping force a little too strong for my head.
Big fan of beyerdynamic. My dt880's are so comfortable I have forgotten they were on before. Thank you for the suggestions, think we got a winner in this bunch

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Hello!

I'm on the hunt for some closed backs. I've done a lot of research for my open backs, but I'm not too picky and know next to nothing about what to look for in closed back cans. Main goal is to listen and be quiet, not blow my socks off sound quality. Comfort is probably most important

looking for a few recommendations maybe in price categories $100-200 / $200-300

thanks in advance!
If you want to buy new here are my recs:

For 100-200$ I’d recommend AKG K371/K361 (good entry models w/ harman tuning, lightweight – foldable and overall decently performing, w/o blowing socks off, one negative are the smaller earpads). And beyerdynamic DT770 (IMO better subbass and soundstage than K371, better build quality too, but heavier – less portable and has the infamous beyerpeak treble).

Also the Monolith Monoprice M565C (I just purchased them and demoing them right now, but I’m already a fan. It’s a very good sounding closed-back planar magnetic hp + lightweight-ish and a hardcase included). I had to wait some time to find them for a decent price in the EU, should be easier in North America I believe.

For 200-300 maybe look into Denon AH D5200 when they go on sale, I’ve heard good things about them though I never demoed them, but I own the bigger brother (Denon AH D7200) which is amongst my absolute favourite headphones, regardless of open or closed. But they are def. out of your budget for buying new (maybe consider used, b/c they are quite durable and well built).

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Well if you're on a budget don't forget cheap and cheerful Superlux cans! Or AKG k271mkiis! Can second Beyerdynamic dt770 pros. Nice cans but very disappointing they don't have removable cables...on my second pair here because cables (the 3.5mm jack) got busted. Not a problem if using 3.5mm jack to 1/4 inch adapter into a headphone amplifier.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 12
DT770 PRO/STUDIO (80ohms) is my pick for the price range. Superb comfort. Spacious sound which beats many open-back. Slightly v-shape: the bass boost is in the sub-bass region so it's not really thumpy, but if it's EDM you will feel it. The high is not as aggressive as DT880/DT990. The midrange isn't standing out but still very clear.

On the other side of the spectrum is Sony CD900ST. It has prominent and attractive midrange. For monitoring vocal/voice-over it's wonderful. However CD900ST is more of an on-ear. It's not as comfortable as DT770 PRO, but not bad at all for a shorter session.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for for review! Well done! Well pretty happy with my DT-770 Beyerdynamics, as well as akg k712's here. And k612's closed backs. Pretty stoked with my hifi-man k6xx etc's, and my AKG k712's are pretty good! But yeah for easy listening, think hifi-man k6xx etc are the bomb, by far the best for easy listening.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Well I would check out the Hi-fi man 80 ohm cans, super comfortable, nice round sound. Have had both them and Beyerdynamics dt-770's, prefer the hifi-man cans. Nice, very smooth! Nothing wrong with dt-770's though of course! But yeah for a smooth listening experience, can't go past hi-fi man. And of course a good hi-fi amp and dac. Well Schiidt there etc. Well happy NYE to you all, people at Ustaoset already sending up fireworks!

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Lots of options will come up used in that price range. Maybe a pair of Meze 99 Classics could be of interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back