affordable amp for ED9
Dec 8, 2008 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Randolph Duke

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have my ED9's running through a RS Predator. I use this with my macbook and it sounds pretty good. But I read that desktop amps will sound better. I searched amps for ED9's and most suggestions were well over $1,000. I can't spend that much.
I thought about the Woo6- but read that ED9's are better with SS amps.

Is there a decent desktop that beats the sound I'm getting from the Predator and is priced about $5-600?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I personally think that the Predator brings out most of the potential of the Ed9. I really do think you might just stay content with the Predator. You probably won't do much better for your price range.

YMMV.

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 4
If you went to a desktop amp you would also need a DAC. So although there are better amps out there the cost of a reasonably good DAC, SS amp, and cables will set you back a few bucks.

I believe you could end up w/ a very good dac and amp for under $1,000 specially if you buy used. Is your wallet willing to go there? It is IMO a worthy effort for the sake of the ED9.

I will say that before you start down this path you go to meets and listen to various amp/dac combinations. Only you can decide if the expenditure of funds is worthy or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back