Affordable(<$100) IEMs, isolation is a priority
Mar 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MonkeysAteMe

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some affordable IEMs that have great isolation, but I also have a tight budget.

The cheaper the better even if it means a hit in sound quality, but I do not want a hit in the isolation. I am using these to commute so careful listening is not possible.

What are the cheapest IEM's that offer the same kind of isolation as the more expensive brands?(I also don't want anything that you have to replace the filter)

Thank you.

P.S. Does the e2c need it's filter replaced like the er6's?

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 17
See I'd rather not have to replace filters. How often do they need replacing?(I've got waxy ears).

I think I'm really asking is if the lower end IEM's have as good of isolation(or near to)?

P.S. Do the ep-630's need filter replacement? Are there any IEM's that don't?

Mar 25, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 17
I would recommend some Westone UM1s, if you can afford them. Those are really good sounding and isolate very well too. If you can't afford those, then settle for the cheaper Shure e2cs or UE super.fi 3s, which are both OK, with the Shures offering better isolation, but lower sound quality to my ears. All three will lack bass to you, if you're a basshead, though. For bass, you may as well pick up a pair of Senn CX300s, which are even cheaper and have more kick in the low frequencies. The CX300s don't sound quite as good in the mids, the bass is a bit muddy, the soundstage is noticeably narrower, and the isolation is less than that of true IEMs like the Shures, UEs, Etymotics and Westones. Hope this helps.

P.S: Oh, about CX300s... while I believe that their isolation is actually pretty decent for noisy places, like the subway, I really hate their microphonic effects while walking or running, which are strong enough, that they often kill my music experience.
mad.gif
There are a lot less microphonic effects on the Shures, UE's and Westones though, cause the wires can be looped behind your ears.

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 17
Unfortunately all the low-end offerings with the best isolation have filters that need to be replaced (ER6, iM616/716).

You could try the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 with foamies, or the Westone UM1 with Complies.

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Er6i no doubt! The best $75 I've spent in a while. I just bought mine about a week ago, and the isolation is amazing. I can actually hear the music without a bunch of jumbled engine sound on an airplane. Everything is crystal clear, and it sounds great! The fact that I can just put a pair one and not hear my annoying ass roommates is worth my $75 anyday!

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are the same as the CX300

Yeah the difference is tiny. Isolation is pretty good, but it has bad microphonics (around ear helps a lot) and the sound is pretty dar, lots of bass and powerful lower-mids. upper mids are pretty muddy and highs are a little harsh. Good for the money, don't get me wrong, but i would also recommend er6i for under 100.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 17
I would go for the um1. Fuller sound, great isolation, very solid construction. Er6i is a very much acquired taste. The first time I heard it, it sounded very thin and bassless to me.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 17
er6i gets another vote from me! best isolation (etys) and good sound quality from what i read here.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 17
er6(i)....super.fis have terrible fit so it might end up not isolating as much as you would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back