aererrrgg... grattle in the right cup of my K340
Apr 20, 2006 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dhp

(formerly known as DieInAFire)
should i take a can of compressed air to the drivers? I'm so stuck as to what to do... could it be something else besides a hair in the driver?

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 22
holy crap, it was only wiring issues with my millett. DAMMITT!! On the other hand, it sounds awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some mods I did:

Removed cotton. Bypassed the crossover pcb. Then, I removed the whole freaking silver thing in front of the dynamic driver that the crossover pcb was attached to. Maybe it was the electrostat driver? Regardless, after bypassing the crossover pcb, it was useless, and it really opened up the sound. These cans have a really really refined sort of texture to it, and the soundstage, while not quite as large as the K501, is sizable.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53.../K340_woot.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53...ostatmaybe.jpg

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 22
OMG, you did not remove the electrostatic element i see in the first picture did you?

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 22
Oh no! Grado's infamous sound abberation has spread to other brands! It's taking over the world! Soon, "grattle" will be in Bose car stereos, and then we'll all be doomed!

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
OMG, you did not remove the electrostatic element i see in the first picture did you?

It looks as if he just pulled out the electret/PCB assembly.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20

I understand that, my question is if he put it back in the headphone or removed it completely?? Its no longer an electrostatic/dynamic headphone if its not put back in.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20

Let me interpret the tone of aznsensazian's original post for you:

"Oh snap, you did not just do that, honey-child!"
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
yep

So you are not using the electret drivers at all? Dude, i dont know how it affects the sound, but when you are bypassing the driver it should be like this, cable->dynamic driver->pcb->electrostatic driver.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
So you are not using the electret drivers at all? Dude, i dont know how it affects the sound, but when you are bypassing the driver it should be like this, cable->dynamic driver->pcb->electrostatic driver.

yep, but i wanted to try something new... experiment, shall we say

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

yep, but i wanted to try something new... experiment, shall we say

ummm....its not a k340 anymore by doing this you do know that right? Its more like a k501 now with only dynamic drivers. Poor k340s......
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

holy crap, it was only wiring issues with my millett. DAMMITT!! On the other hand, it sounds awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some mods I did:

Removed cotton. Bypassed the crossover pcb. Then, I removed the whole freaking silver thing in front of the dynamic driver that the crossover pcb was attached to. Maybe it was the electrostat driver? Regardless, after bypassing the crossover pcb, it was useless, and it really opened up the sound. These cans have a really really refined sort of texture to it, and the soundstage, while not quite as large as the K501, is sizable.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53.../K340_woot.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y53...ostatmaybe.jpg

Wow, you K340 owners are going way overboard with the mods, IMO. What's the point of having the headphones without the electret drivers in them?

Besides, it's not like the "crossover" (which consists of only one or two components, excluding the step-up transformer) is really going to degrade the sound that much in the first place.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
Wow, you K340 owners are going way overboard with the mods, IMO. What's the point of having the headphones without the electret drivers in them?

Besides, it's not like the "crossover" (which consists of only one or two components, excluding the step-up transformer) is really going to degrade the sound that much in the first place.

I think a majority of k340 owners do not remove the electrostatic element from the headphone. We just route the cable differently to each driver.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

you guys do realize i can simply put it back right?
confused.gif

relax...

sheesh, you guys act as if this was a permanent change or something

Good Luck in soldering the wires back into the pcb, its going to be a biotch to do so. I just find it kinda funny that you think it sounds good without it. It will be a totally different mod and transforming the headphone completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back