Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #2,206 of 2,395
Lol yeah there is that too. At CanJam, I think someone was having a source issue, I found one of the Aegises at full volume with no source connected, tragedy was averted thankfully.

😱

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #2,207 of 2,395
Did you try less than 2v though?
2v is the lowest. Of course you can set the volume at 75% while at 2v. You can change it very easily but my money is on it not really being too critical. You experience an increase in volume basically. No obvious distortion and no additional noise in terms of the noise floor.

At 6v the dial is at 9pm… at 2v it’s nearly 10pm… unless I do it in the morning and then its am 🤪

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #2,208 of 2,395
So when you all are scouring for tubes online do you consider the ones with broken center pins as a means to get good tubes for less money or do you shy away from those? I’ve seen a few of these lately and wondering if these would be good buys for me or best to steer clear.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #2,209 of 2,395
So when you all are scouring for tubes online do you consider the ones with broken center pins as a means to get good tubes for less money or do you shy away from those? I’ve seen a few of these lately and wondering if these would be good buys for me or best to steer clear.

I find broken guide pins annoying, but they don't necessarily hurt the function of the tube. I can't help but want to pay less for them, however.

If you have access to a 3D printer (or a friend with a 3D printer), this looks like it could help:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5774160

I haven't tried it yet, however.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #2,210 of 2,395
If you don't mind the look (and the slight inconvenience), go for it. You could always mark the direction of the guiding pin with some "engraving" or permanent marker pen.

There's also the 3d solution of AnyDave or some guiding pin strap on I've seen on some guitar tube repair:

https://www.vivatubes.com/6-pieces-...r-missing-broken-guide-key-fix-repair-keyway/

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #2,211 of 2,395
As long as you're careful putting in the tube a broken guide pin is not a problem. One of my 6su7gty has a broken guide tube; I just make sure I line it up very carefully when I'm rolling it.

And hey, did anyone else feel like a child listening to his parents talk about things he didn't understand when Goldensound and L0rdgywn were discussing amp behavior? Those are a couple of smart fellas!

SHINEY BULB MAKE GOOD SOUND! HIT ROCK WITH STICK!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #2,212 of 2,395
And hey, did anyone else feel like a child listening to his parents talk about things he didn't understand when Goldensound and L0rdgywn were discussing amp behavior?

These types of convos is why I love the threads. Publicly shared learning that’s risk-free, ego-free, with genuine openness to learn and share - we all get better for it. The process is almost more important than the results as it makes you reflect (and, sometimes, catch up on your reading so you can do that reflection).

Absolutely love it and hope @GoldenSound , @L0rdGwyn , and others continue with the public sharing and challenging - it’s how we all get smarter, course correct, and continuously learned from our own mistakes and occasional stumbles of insight.

🙏❤️

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2,213 of 2,395
These types of convos is why I love the threads. Publicly shared learning that’s risk-free, ego-free, with genuine openness to learn and share - we all get better for it. The process is almost more important than the results as it makes you reflect (and, sometimes, catch up on your reading so you can do that reflection).

Absolutely love it and hope @GoldenSound , @L0rdGwyn , and others continue with the public sharing and challenging - it’s how we all get smarter, course correct, and continuously learned from our own mistakes and occasional stumbles of insight.

🙏❤️

Yeah I wanted to say something similar--- they are two of my most respected people in the hobby, both are extremely transparent and generous with information. Much of it went over my head but I also learned a lot. Really appreciate the testing and demystification that has been happening over the last few years, and these type of convos are a net positive!

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #2,214 of 2,395

🙏❤️

Science! - Imgur.gif

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #2,215 of 2,395

🙏❤️
That's the way to go!
We all benefit when there are constructive discussions held with everyone wanting to seek answers in good faith

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #2,218 of 2,395
Black plates, good side getter flash... looking good, are they sounding good?!?

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,219 of 2,395
Nice! Sounding good?

Black plates, good side getter flash... looking good, are they sounding good?!?

Yeah, they sound pretty good so far. It's been a while since I've had KT88s in there, so it took a minute for my brain to adjust. I threw in a set of PSVane KT88s that I have and, yep, both sets sound like KT88s. The GEC sound quite a bit better, though. Much more open.

I haven't logged many hours on them, but they are very very quiet, which is great. Very expansive big sound. Nice and airy, but a slightly more forward treble sound, which some may like and some may not. I may end up putting a warmer pair of 6SL7s to match with them.

The tube on the left has less side getter on one side, but it's not completely gone. I don't hear any imbalance between the tubes, which is good.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #2,220 of 2,395
I love the AC when paired with the GEC KT88… they’ve been running for the last 3 days!

As a stroke of luck, I found another near new one to go with my other near new backup. So that should be me done for them now! They’re supposed to last a long time!

I’m sure you’ll have many happy hours with them, they look in good condition… enjoy 😀👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back